Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2004 4:37:31 AM EDT
Fellas, I just picked up some 30 round mags at a gunshop Fri.

They seem to of good quality on the outside, but have a black plastic floorplate in them. Is this a bad thing??

No name or numbers on these mags, just a plastic sticker that say's "England". Supposed to be mil spec, but I'm not sure.

Bottom line. If these mags are junk, they go back to the gunshop.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about English SA80 mags, those seem okay, but they seem a little heavy. Never heard of them having plastic floorplates though
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They seem to of good quality on the outside, but have a black plastic floorplate in them. Is this a bad thing??
Thanks

Floorplates, or followers?
The black plastic followers in the England mags are the same as green followers, tho the center post may be a tad longer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Followers. I stand corrected...
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah the followers aren't much different from the green ones. Like Stryfe said, the center post may be a little longer. IIRC, you either can't fit a fully loaded mag in with a closed bolt, or it's really tough to do so because of the follower being as long as it is. I cut a tad off of mine so I could load with a closed bolt and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you, gentlemen.

Thought I might have bought some crappy mags.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Some "England" SA80 mags have black followers similar to the old USGI black (mine had these), but not as well made.  Change the followers to be sure.  None of mine had the long follower, so I can't comment on those.

At the same time, you might want to put in better springs.  The stock springs seem a little on the soft side.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I just looked at my SA80 mags and the followers are blue
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Witch Dr:  Replace with Green followers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I'm color blind. They are green, or so my wife say's..
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Do they have a very rough surface? We purchased a lot of about 100 English magazines last year that when tested recently, were very unreliable. Followers kept hanging up inside the magazine...probably manufactured by incarcerated IRA members.

I am doing an experiment now by replacing the followers with magpul followers and replacing the springs to see if that corrects the problem. However, I think that the rough surface inside the magazine may be contributing to the problem as well. If the new springs and followers don't work, I will see if I can strip the finish down and refinish with PermaSilk G.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#12]
mine work great
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've had excellent luck with the E-mags as I call them.  Of the half dozen or so I have all have functioned flawlessly.

Tj

Ditto they work good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]
kinda heavy(for a mag) but excellent quality and will work well
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I purchased 4, and out of the 4, 2 work. The other 2 won't feed.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
My bolt hangs up on 3 of mine and one I can't even get it closed at all?  Any advice?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
There steel not aluminum like GI. There good for stuffin the 458Socom ammo in!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Y'all having malfs with the Brit mags...hum..thats why the brits dumped them in favor of the H&K. But, I'm sure they're ok for range play.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My bolt hangs up on 3 of mine and one I can't even get it closed at all?  Any advice?

Make sure they lock in correctly with them unloaded. Some require just the least bit of filing to the TOP of the mag catch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Y'all having malfs with the Brit mags...hum..thats why the brits dumped them in favor of the H&K. But, I'm sure they're ok for range play.

Hotgun

Uh, not true. The new rifles and the mags were not compatible. If you read why they dumped them, the mags were not the problematic part.
SA80 mags are heavy but will last a long time.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure they lock in correctly with them unloaded. Some require just the least bit of filing to the TOP of the mag catch.

Thanks I was not sure if I should file the feed lips or the catch.  I'll try your advice and post the results
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#22]
All I can tell you is that all 40 that I own function perfectly.  I replaced the followers on the first 10 with green Gi units even though I didn't really need to.  I have had zero problems with any of them in my 3 Bushmasters. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks I was not sure if I should file the feed lips or the catch.  I'll try your advice and post the results

Ok. Don't file the feed lips, PLEASE. Just a bit of the top of the mag catch (on the mag itself). Not too much. Just a little at a time. Making sure the mag will lock in place with an unloaded mag.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Are Singapore mags the same as English?  Both are steel and the ones I saw are packaged the same, so are they?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I bought 4 just to try out. 2 work and 2 won't feed. The bolt will not close.

Not sure what to do. Filing may help??
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm upto 6 for my BM. Only 1 needed a new follower, since it had a piece missing from it and it wasn't catch the bolt hold open. Replaced it with a green, and it works 100% now. None of them needed any 'fixing' other then that follower. Mine all came with a little sticker that says 'England' on them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#27]
i have 10 that all function flawless. but i also have one that had the singapore sticker on it that binds halfway down, until i replaced it with the green follower now they all work good.

only down side is the magpul followers are a b**ch to get in there
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#28]
My English mags are the black finished mags. I have a half dozen and they came new in a sealed plastic bag with a green follower and they are my favorite mags. They are my official IPSC match mags.
I have heard, correct me if you guys know otherwise, that the grey English mags are not quite as good. Are the grey mags the rough finish that ReconScout  mentioned?

Another Bill
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top