Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2004 10:17:41 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good 40-round magazine, i've been told several times that most 40-rounders are crap, however i've gotten alot of bad information.

Anyone have a name of a reputable 40-rounder? Know where i can find one?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I got 1 USA brand 40 round, it holds 41 works fine for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 40 round Federal Ordnance, heavy duty magazine and works good, But I dont use it at all anymore,  If you want to make an offer on it IM me
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sterling, if you are willing to pay $80.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I know many AR owners denounce it, but I have had good luck, after "dremmeling" my feedramps, with a Triple K 40-rd streel magazine.

It bought it for $10 bucks, from a disgruntled shooter....who it kept jamming on him.

Just wait till after the sunset (hopefully), you should be able to come across a few more.

Link Posted: 8/9/2004 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The three 40rd AR15 mags worth buying are #1 Sterling-England #2 Federal Ordinance #3 PMI in that order. I doubt you will see mags again that match the quality of the Sterling and Federal Ordinance, probably any "new" mags quality will fall somewhere between USA and PMI. Prices for the Sterling ($80-100) and Federal Ordinance ($40-50) will stay at the current levels.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Never heard of a Federal Ordnance or PMI 40-rounder for an AR. Anybody got pics? I have a "no name" 40-rounder that I bought at a gun show around the first of the year - parked steel body, USGI-style spot welds, green follower, and "Made in USA" stamped on the floorplate. Looks kinda like the England or Singapore steel 30s that are flooding the market right now. Paid $20 for it, new in the bag. It's had a couple hundred rounds fired through it and hasn't given me any problems except being a little reluctant to drop free when empty (tight fit).  Is this one of the Fed Ord or PMI mags?

Link Posted: 8/10/2004 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
My vote goes to Sterling.  Price isn't going to drop after the ban since they have not been manufactured for quite a long time.  Don't have xperience with the others.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:30:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I found a Sterling mag and have been using it extensively. I love it. I would like to find more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Few others on this board like them but I have outstanding luck with my 8 thremomold 30/45 round expandable mags.
And the good news is the molds are still aorund for them so they will be pumping them out by the truckload after the ban.
NoKarma

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sterling, if you are willing to pay $80.

yup, the good ones, rare
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Never heard of a Federal Ordnance or PMI 40-rounder for an AR. Anybody got pics? I have a "no name" 40-rounder that I bought at a gun show around the first of the year - parked steel body, USGI-style spot welds, green follower, and "Made in USA" stamped on the floorplate. Looks kinda like the England or Singapore steel 30s that are flooding the market right now. Paid $20 for it, new in the bag. It's had a couple hundred rounds fired through it and hasn't given me any problems except being a little reluctant to drop free when empty (tight fit).  Is this one of the Fed Ord or PMI mags?

I have two of those exactly like you described.  I bought them at a gun show about a year ago for 20 bucks.  The guy advertised them as "FINALLY, A 40 ROUND MAG THAT WORKS!"  So he got my attention.  I bought one and went home and tried it.  It worked great, so I went back Sunday and got another.  I have fired BOOCoo rounds thru them both with NO problems at all.  In my Bushmaster lower they fit slightly tight, but in my Rock River, Mega Machine, and LAR Grizzly they fall free.  Great deal for 20 bucks I think.  I wouldn't take 50 for em if I couldn't replace them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Re the 40rd "no namer" mag, it does not fit the description of either the PMI or Federal Ordinance. None of the Federal Ordinance 40rd mags I have are marked on the floorplate, same with the PMI. Some of the PMI mags did come with floorplates marked PMI and had the company logo but were only on the 30rd mags. The only original/factory 40rd mags I have seen with parkerized mag bodies are the Sterling and Federal Ordinance.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#13]
i would hope that someone would make some 40 rounders, good quality like usgi
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Why doesn't the Army call for 40rd mags?  There must be a reason the military does'nt think 40rd is a good idea, therefore no 40rd USGI mags.  There are 40rd AK47 and AK74 mags which seem to work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Given how the Army/USGI, I think popular opinion is to see how well they work in the civillian sector first, before issuing to our troops.

One must remember, that Aimpoints, and Red Dot sights were first used on IPSC guns first, then caught on to rifles, then eventually to our troops.

Hopefully, if the AWB sunsets, we'll see more manufacturers developing better 40rd, and further magazine development.......knowing they'll have a buying public first, and possibly military 2nd.

The AWB hurts our military more, than anything else....at least in weapons related development.

IMHO
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Given how the Army/USGI, I think popular opinion is to see how well they work in the civillian sector first, before issuing to our troops.

One must remember, that Aimpoints, and Red Dot sights were first used on IPSC guns first, then caught on to rifles, then eventually to our troops.

Hopefully, if the AWB sunsets, we'll see more manufacturers developing better 40rd, and further magazine development.......knowing they'll have a buying public first, and possibly military 2nd.

The AWB hurts our military more, than anything else....at least in weapons related development.

IMHO

40rd mags are not very practical there is always a point where you have to stop and 30 is it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
It sure makes one's rifle nice looking.....at least to me.

I have plenty of 30's, and 1 40........my one 40 runs great now, I did have problem, but not until I "dremmeled" my feedramps.

Never a jam....my friends AK jam's  much more often than my AR.....at least when we're bump firing...:)

Hopefully I can pick up a BetaC once the AWB sunsets....that's one for my collection!

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
you dremmeled your feedramps just becuase of that mag??
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually.....I dremmeled my feedramps due to ALL my magazines jamming, as the upper was put together with rifle extensions, and the ramps weren't lined up with the extension.

Once dremmeled.....even the $10 good for nothing 40-round I got, feeds flawlessly.

Have over 400 rounds, no jams......even with my sole steel 40 rounder, that jammed in every other AR, at least until now.

Here's a previous thread covering it....and pictures of our hack jobs!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Why did I sell my Sterling back in 94
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#21]
FYI, Federal Ordnance WAS PMI.  Same mag, same part number on the pkg, and even the packaging was almost the same but for the mfg name.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Back at my IPSC club in KY, we held AR-15 assault type courses a couple times a month.  We designed the stages for 32+ rounds in order to force a mag change.  So naturally, everybody picked up 40 round mags to "game" the stages.  

Most were crap.  I had a USA 40 rounder that worked well but I normally only loaded 38 rounds just to be sure.

I had to leave it with my father in law for safe keeping when I moved to Ohio though.  Pocession of a 40 round mag in Ohio constitutes owning an illegal machine gun by this state's FU gun laws.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top