Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2004 9:23:09 AM EDT
I lucked up on nine adventure line 20 rounders for $8.33/ea (9 for $75) at the local flea market in about 90% condition with the alloy follower.  While inspecting, I was pushing the follower up and down to check function.  I noticed on three of the mags that when the follower was pushed down on the edge of the "bullet end" that it would tilt downward in the mag body and stick there.  Once stuck, I could push on the other end of the follower and it would pop back up.  The follower on the other six mags would move up and down smoothly regardless of where I pushed on the follower.  I figured $8 was still OK if they had to be designated range mags so I bought them all.  I haven't checked the function yet.  Is this normal?  Anyone else have similar experience?

Not to hijack my own thread, but while driving home I tried to explain to my wife what a good deal I got on these mags while she tried to explain what a great deal shot got on some goat milk soap at $10 for three bars.  Neither could understand how the other would waste money on such stuff.  We both got a kick out of this when I brought the irony to her attention.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Goatboy might like the Soap.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not to hijack my own thread, but while driving home I tried to explain to my wife what a good deal I got on these mags while she tried to explain what a great deal shot got on some goat milk soap at $10 for three bars.  Neither could understand how the other would waste money on such stuff.  We both got a kick out of this when I brought the irony to her attention.

I bet she can't turn around and sell her goat milk soap for a 50% profit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've noticed that if the alloy followers on a USGI 20 tilt, its because the inside of the mag body is filled with gunk from the last 30 years that no one has bothered to clean out.  I take a toothbrush, some soap (Irish Spring for me...I smell good) and some hot water and throughly scrub it out, inside and out.  I also clean the follower, spring and floorplate (hey, can't hurt, right?) throughly.  Rinse all of it with hot water, the hotter the better, and air dry.  The hot water is to speed the evaporation.  Don't coat the mags with anything, just reassemble dry.  I think you will find the tilting follower gone, but if not, its probably time for new springs.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top