Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2004 8:44:04 PM EDT
what's the deal with these.  i see how they are ranked.  do people buy them more often for looks, cuz they sure do look cool.  also i was wondering where the cheapest place is to get them.  thanks.

jake
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Thermolds are fine range magazines and in that role they can be useful.

However in a SHTF situation that is the least bit dusty or sandy these mags become non-functional with predictable regularity.

(for instance toss your AR w/ thermold into the bed of your pick-up truck or strapped to the back of your 4-wheeler and run down a dirty dusty road till rifle is covered in dust, you'll have a problem with them almost immediantly as they don't perform well in such conditions)

They work for the most part fine, except in extreme conditions and are best at saving wearing and tear on your USGI magazines.

FWIW, seems they function extremely well in RRA rifles/lowers, don't know why but my RRA likes them even more so than the Bushy or Colts, but I would never depend on them in the conditions described.

They are frequently for sell on the Equipment Exchange.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
i've got two thirty round USGIs right now.  should i just stick with buying more of those?  it kinda sounds like they're good for looks-but their price is more than the good ones.  i paid twenty a piece for the USGIs i got.  also,  i'm kinda-down the road-lookin' at a twenty rounder.  do they make the thermolds in a twenty?  thanks

jake
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I was browsing in a sporting goods store I don't often go to and I found a little box of Master-Mold 20s for an AR, and another box of Thermold 20s for an M14. Anybody know the going rate for either of these?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i've got two thirty round USGIs right now.  should i just stick with buying more of those?  it kinda sounds like they're good for looks-but their price is more than the good ones.  i paid twenty a piece for the USGIs i got.  also,  i'm kinda-down the road-lookin' at a twenty rounder.  do they make the thermolds in a twenty?  thanks

2 just 2??

Your severly under-mag'd, bro.......

Given your lack of magazines you should purchase nuthin but USGI 20 and 30 round mags until ya get a min of 7 of each 20s and 30s. (okay maybe I'm too partial to the 20s, a couple 20s will obviously do you).

My mag counts are quite low compared to folks like Troy who counts his by the hundreds, but I have more than 2 dozen USGI 20s, you need stick to USGIs, before wasting your bucks on range mags.

Mike

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I got 1 here I havent ever had a problem with it, I cant say the same for the Orlites.  I only got it because it was the same price as those USGIs I was buying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#8]
WHOA-WHOA!!!  hold up there guys-i go pick up my first ar15 today(God willing).  let's not get too hasty here.  i just bought a couple thirties to get started on.  my ole lady bitches enough about that (and the nine hundred dollar gun!).  but point taken-i'll stick to the USGIs.  right now i'm trying to find a mini14 mag.  i guess they're so expensive because there weren't that many made?  i'm hijacking my own thread

jake

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top