Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 9:39:21 PM EDT
You got to the local shop itching to buy something, (Orlite's @ 4.50 apece)and take it home and it dosen't work. ( cheapie mags won't lock into place)What do you do? Pull out the trusty Dremel tool and start cutting.(cut out the exact square hole for the mag catch)I just did this recently and now they work great.Just take your time and be patient. Use a cutting drill bit like what came with the Dremel tool and everything will go fine. Just a little trial and error.Mabe this will help those people that are too imbarassed to admit they bought these crappy mags.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The rim on the magazine that hits the bottom of the mag well needs to be cut down, only the ones coded under 20 will fit in bushmaster lowers.

If you cut the latch hole larger you risk destroying the magazine, if you cut the hole wrong it wont feed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Great price, but I dont like plastic mags.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You are right JustLOOking,If you make the latch hole larger you will risk destroying the mag.Don't slip.Anyway, what the hell? It dosen't work in you're rifle anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you make the latch hole bigger the magazine will seat lower in the magazine well with the magazine lips lower where they may not feed correctly.    

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not saying to make the latch hole bigger. I am saying to cutout exactly the little piece of plastic in the mag latch hole.This will let the mag catch drop in far enough to lock.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just my .02 guys, plastic works fine...Unless they "Don't accept American Express".

USGI= Aluminum.

IIRC, USGI is built to spec by the lowest bidder and in the case of AR15/M16 magazines- USGI is ALUMINUM...So plastic "will work"(?) I've heard enough about USGI mags that don't work, who do you trust???

However, $4.50 a pop is rather tempting...Considering that USGI spec springs are running $5 alone.  If nothing else, they could be first rate range mags. I'm Glad they worked out for you. But, forgive MHO, I would limit them to range use.

Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree. The U.S. GI mags are the best bet but I just wanted to share how I made crappy Orlite's work.Yes, they are range mags and I would never trust them for self defense,but I had to do something or I couldn't even use them as range mags. If looks could kill, the Orlite's look wicked in my AR.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I paid waaaay too much [>Q] for the brand new Orlites a few years back right after the ban, like $20 a piece, just because they looked cool.  Luckily, they both work flawlessly in my Colt.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy,If I am going about this the wrong way I apoligize.I was just trying to share what I did to correct a problem I was having.Since I didn't grind any material off of the over insertion rib, and just cutout the mag catch hole exactly, the mags work.I think the detent for the mag catch wasn't deep enough for the mag catch to seat into the magazine.If it was the seating depth,I would think this would not have corrected the problem.Just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
and buy the way Troy,Tahnks for the pun on the name, it gave me a chuckle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
You are right Troy it is better to learn from others mistakes.All I know is that I test fired the mags and they work fine in my weapon.I do understand what you are saying though. Mabe I just got lucky.Sorry if I sounded upset,just seemed like I was being beatup on over a $4.50 mag fix that I really didn't care if they worked or not after I've seen people talk about cutting off their front sight because they can't take off their free float handguards.I appoligize if I over reacted.I've learned alot here and hope to learn more from the veterans of the board.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top