Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2003 5:08:22 PM EDT
Please point me to the info on replacing pre-ban hi-caps with post ban bodies.

So, if I have a pre that is "disabled", I crush it (the gutted body) and may use a post-ban non-LE marked body to replace it??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You cant have a postban marked magazine body.

You can buy unmarked replacement mag bodies, but you have to crush a preban magazine body (the one your going to replace) to legaly assemble it into a working mag.

You better keep the crushed mag bodys for proof. Why would you want to replace one when the replacement mag bodies cost $11.00 and a whole preban mag costs $10?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
thatmguy,

You are correct.  If you have a destroyed, as in unable to repair, pre-ban(emphasis added) magazine body that came from a complete pre-ban magazine...You can replace the magazine body to ensure the specs and servicability of the magazine.  (IIRC, you can use a post ban marked magazine body, but you would be playing with fire as you would have to PROVE you used the Post Marked mag as a REPLACEMENT PART)  It would be advisable to ensure that any post ban manufactured REPLACEMENT body have NO MARKINGS signifying it's post 94 manufacture and that the pre-ban body which is replaced is destroyed beyond repair and RETAINED AS PROOF of the REPLACEMENT. Also, as a side note, AFAIK- there are no "Post ban replacement parts" that are marked as "post ban" by date or as "restricted")

JustL00king touched base on using a "Post ban marked body" but I feel he mis-interpreted your question.  Post ban manufactured REPLACEMENT bodies have been available without date of manufacture markings for some time.  I would not advise using magazines and or bodies that are clearly marked with a date stamp, ie. 9/98 or post September 94' and/or "RESTRICTED MILITARY/LAW ENFORCEMENT/EXPORT USE ONLY".

The trick is to find a supplier for the replacement bodies.  CMMG, a dealer here on the site, had some for sale months ago.  They depleted their supply and last I heard had found another source and expected to offer replacement bodies after the first of the year.  I hope they are on schedule since replacement bodies are a necessity as the years of use continue to ravage the supply of Grand-fathered pre ban mag supply.

Take care and hide what you can't take care of...

Sly
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top