Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 11:41:42 PM EDT
So this is my solution to magazine refinishing.  I went to the local Menards and looked at the enamel spray paint (Use enamel because you want a good durable finish).  I saw a product that looked like it would do the job and that is "Premium Rust-Oleum fine textured finish".  I personally got the nickel colored paint so to give that light gray look.  I took it home, striped my mag and started painting.  After finishing and letting it dry for 24 hours I began to play with it.  This paint is amazing.  It is extremely durable, it only has wear marks on it from one spot were the mag catch engages and it is also finely textured to add grip.  My friend came over and played with it for a while and was equally impressed.

Now for $3.99 per can I believe that this is a much better deal than PermaSlik-G dry moly lube.  I have yet to find why this is not an acceptable way of refinishing a mag.

Note: I do lube my magazine with a very light coat of CLP to avoid any possible scratchs, the mag does not get slipery becuase of the texturing.

I will post a pic when I get one

Has any one else tried this, or what is any ones opinion.

C:\documentsandsettings\mycomputer\desktop\newfolder\pooo4272.jpg

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hawkeye did something similar recently.  Here's his thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=175503[/url]

I'll probably try a few to see how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
This is my steps for doing refinishing.

1.  Disassemble magazine to that you only left with the body of the mag.

2.  Clean well with degreaser and get all the old paint or coating off.

3.  Use 400 grit sand paper to brighten the surface.

4.  Clean with soap and water then let dry.

5.  Put in oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes to make sure they are perfectly clean, then let cool.

6.  Plug the ends of the body with Kleenexes or paper towels so paint does not get inside the body of the mag.

7.  Fashion some contraption to hang the mag with then paint it, using the Premium Rust-Oleum fine texture finish paint.

8.  Let dry for 2 hours then put in oven at 300 degrees for 20 minutes to cure and harden the paint (optional).  Then let it sit for a day before usage.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent, glad they turned out great.  Now, where are the pictures?

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I to would realy like to see some pics. sounds like you are on to something. are they still holding up well?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\MyComputer\Desktop\New Folder\p0004272.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top