Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2003 5:13:23 AM EDT
I have some mags that are in desperate need of refinishing, so, I decided to experiment with a couple before doing the whole lot of them. I did these two in OD green. Might try some in black. Give me your thoughts. Had a hard time getting the light right for the pics though, but the color is pretty close. These will be used in a rifle with OD accents/parts on it.

Used some Dawn dish soap and hot water to degrease, dried them good, and then gave them some light coats of ultra flat OD Green Krylon camo system paint. Took really well to the mags, to my surprise. Doesnt scratch off with my fingernail, or from inserting and removing the mags from the rifle. Going to add another coat or two today I think, and might do another mag and try heating it some to see if that hardens the paint any. Would like to do some in black, and maybe the light brown they have. Anyway, my el-cheapo experiment in action.

Here are a couple of them in the rifle they will be used with. This rifle is going to get a makeover soon.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
They look good. Wonder if CLP, or any gun cleaner will affect them?

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
CLP doesnt seem to do anything. Will try some Hoppes #9 tomorrow and see what it does.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Those look nice Hawkeye!  I went through some of my mags last night and picked out 26 to be refinished.  The last run I used Perma-Silk but yours look great so I may try a couple with Krylon to see how it goes.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to de-grease and dry them really well. Also, get the actual Camo System Krylon. Its an ultra flat paint, and has a bit of texture to it. Do very thin coats, and re apply as many as you want. I figure if nothing else, its a cheap trick, and if they d get scratched up, its easy to put on another coat to spiff them up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#5]
How many mags do you think can be done with a can of Krylon?  I still have more mags to sort through but if possible I'll like to do a run of 40.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I've done 4 mags, 3-4 coats per mag, and have hardly used any in the can. I'd say you could do quite a few, how many though will of course depend on how many coats you put on each, and how thick, etc. You should be able to get at least 20 out of a can.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Perfect, thanks man!  I'll let you know how they turn out [:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Please let us know how durable this is.

I'm presuming you left the interior bare, right?

If so, the only problems in terms of functioning could be if flecks of paint chip off and work their way into the mag.  Otherwise it should function as stock.

I think they look really good.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please let us know how durable this is.

I'm presuming you left the interior bare, right?

If so, the only problems in terms of functioning could be if flecks of paint chip off and work their way into the mag.  Otherwise it should function as stock.

I think they look really good.
View Quote

Correct. I just did the outsides. However, I had the mags stripped when I did them, ie, base plate removed, spring and follower removed. No doubt some got inside. However, the followers do seem to move just the same. I dont "think" the paint will flake off. If it comes off, I think it will be scraped off, and be more powder like, than to come off in flakes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool.  I'd probably try to stuff some newspaper in both ends to keep the spray from getting inside.

When they start getting a bit scraped up, do you mind posting a pic of one before touching it up?

I think I'm going to try to find a can of this.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure they'll get dinged up, as these 4 are my main FDCC mags. They get dumped and bumped a lot. Will take some pics.

In case I didnt mention this earlier, this is a camo system. Krylon makes about 10 different colors, so that you can do a woodland sceme, desert sceme, etc. I just got the OD from the woodland. I really want to try the light and dark earth ones and see how they look.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top