Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2003 7:55:19 PM EDT
Does anyone know how these magazines will be holding up in the desert scenario?  Any reports from usage in Iraq?  Reason I ask is because there has been talk about ordering these for a possible deployment to the sand box.  With all of the recent weapon failures I would think some may have been caused by debris (sand in this case) jamming the rifle or one of its major accessories.  Anyone have the scoop on this?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I think most on this web will tell you to avoid them.  I've never used one but I hear the beta's have reliability issues.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think most on this web will tell you to avoid them.  I've never used one but I hear the beta's have reliability issues.
View Quote

Does anyone have hard data?  lives would be put in danger if they failed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for the lack of hard data, but you've answered your own question. No + Data = NO GO as far as I'd be concerned.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Do a search.  The Beta-C magazine has failed repeatedly on the range, not just in quasi-combat conditions.  Long thread here in the past couple of weeks.

This magazine requires lubricated ammunition.  I'd not trust it for something as simple as range or police work (where the weapons are always clean and lubricated).

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about hard data regarding reliability of the Beta Mag(feeding)--but does anyone recall the pic that an ARF Commer posted when he dropped a fully loaded Beta Mg from about 3 feet on the concrete? The fucker busted in half! I think I'll stick with 30's and 90 mph tape.

"Lubricated Ammunition?!" I hav'ent heard that one but that's already a definite problem waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:SdLOtFN__H4J:www.bragg.army.mil/afvc-a/FRG/Desert%2520Devil%2520Dispatch/dddvol29.pdf+C-mag+afghanistan&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

Download the PDF article.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:SdLOtFN__H4J:www.bragg.army.mil/afvc-a/FRG/Desert%2520Devil%2520Dispatch/dddvol29.pdf+C-mag+afghanistan&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

Download the PDF article.
View Quote

Chris,
Thanks a lot.  This is the kind of info I need.  I will keep searching around to hopefully have enough info to present on Monday.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The Beta-C magazine requires the use of lubricant, in this case powdered graphite, to keep it working.  The while this is a "dry" lubricant, it can also set up elecrical reactions between dissimilar metals in the rifle.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top