Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2003 6:05:48 PM EDT
Looking at picking up a RRA CAR A2 for my first AR.  I probably am not going to be ordering it until springtime, but in the mean time I was thinking about picking up some high capacity mags before hand from ammoman.com well the opportunity is there (some of the Teflon coated ones).  I am under the impression that high capacity mags are hard to come by and should be picked up whenever available, is that thinking correct?  Should I pick up 10 or so before I order the rifle just to get some well I can (to be on the safe side)?      
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club.  Good mags are good mags, and the more the merrier.  One cannot have too many mags.  Get as many as you are financially capable of getting.  Check the EE for other good deals.  Oh, since you are getting good deals already on mags, why not on some ammo?  Wholesale Hunter has Federal XM193 on sale for $74.75/case of 500.  That's a good deal on great ammo.  Check the ammunition forum for that.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One cannot have too many mags.  Get as many as you are financially capable of getting.
View Quote

Yeah, and then BUY MORE!!!! [:D]

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have close to 30 mags and I am not even close to finishing my project AR. The more mags you have the better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought at least 20 AR15 mags before I could get my hands on a rifle... and that was before 1994, when 30 round Labelles were running for USD 9.95 at Bushmaster's...
I should have bought a truckload!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Plenty of mags, look here--> [url]http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=24[/url]
View Quote

Good advice.

Buy early, buy often! [:)]

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#7]
There is no shortage of "high capacity" M16 magazines, but unless the 1994 Crime Bill is allowed to sunset the supply will eventually dry up.  Beem 9 years and there's still no end of the supply in sight, but.....

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.  Good mags are good mags, and the more the merrier.  One cannot have too many mags.  Get as many as you are financially capable of getting.  Check the EE for other good deals.  Oh, since you are getting good deals already on mags, why not on some ammo?  Wholesale Hunter has Federal XM193 on sale for $74.75/case of 500.  That's a good deal on great ammo.  Check the ammunition forum for that.  

Ghost
View Quote

Last year I found some good deals on mags, so I picked some up, 20 NIW FAL, 20 New CETME, and 20 VG-LNIW HK91/G3.  I still don't have any of these guns yet, but at the price I just couldn't pass on them.  These are all surplus mags,so even after the ban sunsets, you wouldn't be able to manufacture new good quality mags for less then the $3.50-$7.50/each that I paid.  

Oh, I also picked up 2 cases of 7.62x51 that was a good deal this spring.

If you find a good deal on mags or ammo and can afford it, pick them up. Check around and get the best price you can.  I have ordered (not the Teflon mags)from the AMMOMAN and I have always been happy. His prices are a little higher then some places, but you don't have to worry about what you will be getting either.  His Brit SA80 mags are a good deal right now. I picked up 10 and have had no problems.

FB
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Fat-boy:  are the SA80 mags comparable in quality to the USGI?  I was thinking about picking up 5 or 10 of the Teflon coated USGI mags, but I was also thinking about picking up 10 or 20 of either the SA80 mags or the used USGI mags.  The SA80 had a better deal so I was leaning in their direction, do you know of anyone having problems with them?    
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I would buy now.  You can always get rid of good quality mags.  Just wait until a good deal comes along and check the EE here frequently.

Even though federal laws may expire, it's a possibility that state laws could change....for the worse.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
SA80 mags are comparible to the USGI mags, just a bit heavier, as they are steel and not aluminum. Some might not lock up with the mag catch, but thats an easy fix. File down the top of the mag catch hole just a bit and they will lock up fine. I have a bunch of them and like them alot.
Its a smart move on your part to get the mags first. Get both the USGI's and SA80's.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I was just thinking, maybe Ill skip buying the Teflon mags and pick a bunch of the sa80 and used USGI mags, more bang for the buck I figure.   Mind as well get as many as I can for the money I want to spend…  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fat-boy:  are the SA80 mags comparable in quality to the USGI?  I was thinking about picking up 5 or 10 of the Teflon coated USGI mags, but I was also thinking about picking up 10 or 20 of either the SA80 mags or the used USGI mags.  The SA80 had a better deal so I was leaning in their direction, do you know of anyone having problems with them?    
View Quote

I am no mag expert, and I don't play one on TV, but to me they seem to be of very good quality.  It seem that 95+% of the people on this board have had NO problems w/ these mags.  All of the mags inserted in my Bushy w/o any problems.  The first thing I did when they arrived was take a wooden ruler(12") and work the follower up/down a few dozen times.  The follower seemed to ride a little ruff against the coating on the inside of the mag.  This solved the "problem".  I also changed out a couple of the followers w/ mil spec green followers to see if it made any difference.  In my limited tests there was no difference.  I also pre-loaded a few of the mags w/ 20 rounds, and let them sit for a few days before going to the range, to see if there was any difference trying insert a fully loaded mag w/ bolt closed.  The mags that were pre-loaded did seem to insert easier but the other mags did go in with a little tap on the bottom.  This is no different then when I either get new GLOCK mags or replace my GLOCK springs w/ Wolff + 10% springs.  I usually have to down load the mag by one for a few days. Even after I can get all ten rounds in my G30 mags, they  are a tough to insert with the slide closed.  Some people have had to file 1-2mm off the top of the mag catch hole in order to insert them fully loaded w/ the bolt closed.  I would wait until you run a few full mags before doing this.

I am very happy w/ them and will most likely get some more.  If I were you I would get some of the Brit mags and some USGI just to be safe.  They are a good price right now and won't get any cheaper later.  Also, if you look around in the EE you can find some good deals on USGI stuff.

FB
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If it makes you feel any better I bought a bunch of FAL mags a while back...but I don't own a FAL. They were a great deal so I figured I'd scoop them up when I could.

Shortly thereafter I bought a case of surplus 7.62 to store in the mags...but I don't own any rifles in 7.62x51...

See? I'm perfecly normal [8)]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I own lot's of mags for guns I don't yet have.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NIW Labelle for 22 bucks each right now on the Equipment Exchange. If you pay over 22 dollars each for a NIW USGI mag, [b]YOU ARE PAYING TOO MUCH[/b]. Also, Rguns has the same mags that Ammoman has for much less, if you dont quite trust them, just order a couple and see how the deal goes, if ok then order more...Good Luck
View Quote

Before you buy anything from Rguns or Ammoman, do yourself a favor.
Do a search on Ammoman, and another on Rguns.
You'll see quickly that one has a pristine reputation, and the other is a convicted felon, with a spotty history and atrocious customer care skills.

I wouldn't buy a cup of lemonade from Rguns, but it's your call.
I'd just hate to see a newbie get taken advantage of by that cretin.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Juggernaut(PD) - an imposter?  There is only ONE Juggernaut, is there not?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I recommend Fat Boy's post as a Sticky for the straight-dope on the Brit mags.

I would definitely agree with getting some mags and ammo before the weapon.  There are few things worse than having the stick and none of the fun BOOM accessories!

I've gotten all of my Aluminum mags from the board's Equipment Exchange and all my Brit mags from Ammoman.com, making about 30 thirty-rounders total in my control just now and I'm pretty happy with that number.

Maybe just a few more...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I use the handle “juggernaut” on other boards plus it the one I use here is the one I use for my AIM SN.  You can usually pick out my threads by their atrocious spelling and horrendous grammatical errors.  An imposter I am not, just someone trying to gain a little knowledge in what’s left of my brain from 18 credit hour semesters (2 more weeks until brake, then maybe I will make more sense).  Anyways, back to the matter at hand, I just ordered 5 USGI Teflon mags, 5 used USGI mags, and 10 of the royal ordinance mags.  I figure 20 would be a good start.  Now, for the rifle…          
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top