Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 6:24:41 AM EDT
There seem to be good quality 30 rounders available now in either Steel (British) or Aluminum (USGI and LaBelle) for example. Which is better to have? It seems to me the steel would be more durable but can rust and aluminum is less durable but will not rust. I’d think the steel design would have a longer service life.

Am I better off with one or the other or should I just get what I can while I can?

Thanks - Brad
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Get some of each and decide for yourself. I prefer the aluminum USGI. You also need to consider the weight factor. The steel mags are going to be quite a bit heavier.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There seem to be good quality 30 rounders available now in either Steel (British) or Aluminum (USGI and LaBelle) for example. Which is better to have? It seems to me the steel would be more durable but can rust and aluminum is less durable but will not rust. I’d think the steel design would have a longer service life.

Am I better off with one or the other or should I just get what I can while I can?

Thanks - Brad
View Quote

Either would be fine. I'd go with the USGIs first however. The un-official arfcom motto is "get both."

I like the steel for range work personally.
As far as rusting, I have this annoying habit of keeping steel parts properly lubricated. It's a tic I picked up somewhere along the line.

As for longer service life, keep in mind that the aluminum mags were meant to be disposable, which is why I use the steel mags at the range, and keep the USGIs ready to go for SHTF. The USGIs do see the range to ensure proper function, but the steel mags do most of the grunt work.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel will most always be more durable, as seen on the HK's and AK's. I have heard that aluminum can rust as well, just not as fast as steel. The difference in weight is minimal and if they become too heavy, then you'd better start eating your Weaties. [:P]
I keep my SA80 mags for range work and keep my USGI's for safekeeping when we can no longer get them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Aluminum USGI
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the Brit steel mags for my purposes.  I'm not afraid to give them a love tap now n' then if they don't want to seat for me.  My Bushie isn't loaded down with doo-hickeys so this "extra weight" that some may mention doesn't bother me.

I've been using a brit steel mag (the first 30 rounder I ever got) to this day and haven't had a rust or major function problem.

I should be on top of some USGI mags to throw into the SHTF collection tho.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm using 35 year old USGI 20 round magazines every week.  There's no compelling reason to buy steel magazines I can think of.

Magazines are expendable, but I'll no doubt get another 35 years out of these USGI mags.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
i use a mix of both.  steel mags are deceptive if you've got them mixed in your gear with aluminum, because an empty steel mag feels like an aluminum mag with a few rounds in it.  

one thing i like about the steels though is that they don't swell over long term use.  i hate having to squeeze the sides in on an aluminum mag that's too swolled to fit in my mag well.

i haven't had a problem with rust on my steels, but i also take pretty good care of them.  i will be purchasing a shitload of aluminum mags though, when the ban sunsets.  i don't mind having a few steels, but i'm probably going to make all my mags in my gear aluminum, for uniformity and weight issues.  12 steel mags would weight a bit more than 12 aluminum mags.

price-wise and durability-wise, steels are better if you keep them oiled.  but if i'm putting something in my gear, it's something i don't want to have to oil.  because who has time to sit down and oil all their mags in the field?  and who wants to carry all the oil to do that?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If I have my choice between $20 used aluminums and $14 new steel mags, well....  The steel ones may rust on a long enough timeline, but so will your AR if you don't take care of it.

You could always carry a $2 silicone gun cloth and wipe them down to prevent rust, same as with the AR...  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I was at a gun show this weekend and visited with a gentleman who dealt only magazines.  He had colts, usgi, and polymer but no steel.  When I asked why, he said steel mags are not in compliance with the original requirements of the ar-m16  mil. specs, and tend to be abrasive in the mag well causing excessive wear. Is this a problem with steel or was the guy just blowin' smoke?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#10]
He might be blowing smoke because I have read that other countires that use the M16 series have specified steel magazines. I don't remeber which countries, maybe someone eles does.

Brad
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both alum.& steel with a few plastic or fiberglass or whatever they are. I think the British steel mags are good because there' Parkerized and should last a long time with minimal care. I'm about to order some more steel mags from ammoman, he has them at a fair price.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...but no steel.  When I asked why, he said steel mags are not in compliance with the original requirements of the ar-m16  mil. specs, and tend to be abrasive in the mag well causing excessive wear. Is this a problem with steel or was the guy just blowin' smoke?
View Quote

Lets see.  A steel bolt carrier is inside and it does more moving than any mag will.  Sounds like a bunch of cow pucky to me.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top