Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 6:13:00 PM EDT
I've got 8 older Colt AR-15 magazines which came with aluminum followers.
I ordered a bag of the new "Green" followers, but I can't get them into the magazines.

Unlike newer M16 magazines, these older colts have a metal flap rivited to the inside of the magazine which locks onto the base plate. (I've got some other M16 mags which will take these followers just fine). In order to install the new followers, they would have to go through the spring loaed plate to access the back channel of the magazine which they ride in.

Is there any way to upgrade these magazines to use the "green" followers?
Is there another way of getting these followers INTO the magazine?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have some 20rnd mags?

You're going to need to cut down the legs of the follower to around 20mm. That's if you really want them in, and to hold a full 20 rounds.

There is also no need to replace the alloy followers that came in USGI 20rnd mags. Only the 30rnd mags need their followers replaced.

Hope this helps,

Cody @ Magazine Specialties
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I quickly skimmed through the FAQ.  I must have missed the part about the older 20rd mags.  I guess I'll keep the alloy followers since these mags are +95% if they aren't a problem.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top