Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2003 4:12:44 AM EDT
Are there any negative effects to leaving AR mags fully loaded for extended periods of time - like the spring being weakened??? I know that a 1911 mag can be left fully loaded for many years, and still function 100%, so...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Geo;

A spring is a spring, is a spring, is a spring. The physical properties which make one work make them all work.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I still shoot a USGI 20 round M16 magazine I discovered a couple of years ago in stuff I'd packed away in 1971.  I figure the mag sat fully loaded for 27 or 28 years.  Ammo and magazine functioned perfectly.  That same season I fired both P'08 and M1911 magazines which had been fully loaded since 1945.  Same thing, no problems.

20 round USGI magazines hold 20 rounds.  30 round magazines hold 30.  Fill 'em.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The spring weakens by the loading and unloading of the mag, not by it just being compressed.  

Load it up, it won't hurt.

And if you are still worried, just rotate your loaded mags or get out and shoot more.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, gents - that's what I figured, also - I just wanted to verify it...

- georgestrings
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top