Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 1:39:11 AM EDT
I am considering finishing the outside of my M1A with Perma Slik G.  Once it is air cured or even baked, can it be effected by cleaning solvents?  Your thoughts are needed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to make your M1A silvery?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
cuz silver is pretty.  I'd like to see that if you go through with it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I am only going to do it if Perma Slik G is chemical proof.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am only going to do it if Perma Slik G is chemical proof.
View Quote

It's definately not chemical proof.  Get you a good bake-on gunkote style of finish.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
By AtlantaFireman: I am considering finishing the outside of my M1A with Perma Slik G.
View Quote

The magazine, or the rifle itself? (It's a magazine forum so I assume the mag, but if I wanted to know about using perma slik on a rifle I would probably post in this forum as well)

I've never used Perma Slik but from Lumpy196's post I'm under the impression that it's the same results as Hoppe's Moly coat. (Finish turns to a silver after applied.)

I hosed down two of my Glock slides with Hoppe's moly coat but it transfered onto my clothing and didn't end up looking good for long.  

On the other end, I have used Hoppes Moly to refinish a couple of home converted AR10 mags.  The Hoppe's works fine on the mags, costs about $8-9 a can. I would assume the Perma Slik works as well if not superior from the reports on this site.  

Harsh solvents, such as BC "Gunscrubber" will take it right off slicker than snot, Breakfree CLP will as well with a bit of rubbing.  

When needed, I just use warm water to clean my mags with the moly coat. Very little gunk will stick to the moly finish.

Sly
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#6]
That does it for me.  I am sticking with flat gray Gun Kote, like my other M1A rifles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would anyone paint a rifle?  The Parker Process was invented for this purpose circa 1917.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Paint?  Epoxy paint and bake-on paint will not come off the rifle unless mechanically blasted.  Parkerizing is good, but the steel will still rust: painted surfaces don't rust because water cannot get through it.  Parkerizing also costs $$$.  I can apply paint better than most.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Parkerizing the entire rifle to a uniform color shouldn't be more than $75 or so and, as we know, is extremely durable.  Have it all done, including the buttplate, trigger guard, etc. and the rifle will look new.

I'd not buy a rifle like this with a [i]strange[/i] finish, but I doubt you're selling anyway.  [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
brownells had some great gun finishes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE+II

aluma hyde 2.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
why?[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I did an Olympic arms receiver and barrel with Brownells BLACK BAKING LACQUER and it turned out
bettr then their factory finish...Great Stuff
used an air brush and bake..
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top