Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2003 5:00:02 PM EDT
I found a couple of 30rd mags that have the baseplates marked SGW with some fancy art work. Mags appear to be USGI and are the standard military finish. Mags are still in sealed wrappers.
Anybody seen any of these before? How rare are they?
These are the first I have ever run into.

Thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
In case you dont already know, sgw is an old AR15 manufacturer that was purchased by oly arms. The magazines contain a "stopsign" around sgw right?

Never seen any myself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to own a SGW stopsign rifle. The markings on these baseplates are not the same as the stopsign logo. It has the letters SGW with fancy scrolling around the letters.
 I can't get a picture to turn out through the plastic wrapper to post.

Anybody else ever seen one?

Mark
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
could they be shuetzen gun works floorplates on usgi mags?? SGW stans for shuetzen gun works, they are the now called olymic arms and oly still uses sgw on some of thier parts. this is only a guess on what the sgw on the mag is. also oly has a lion as part of thier logo. it looks like an old coat of arms insignia.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the wrappers appear to have any markings?

If they are blank, I would venture a guess they are not their original packaging (I could be completely wrong though).

Where'd you pick them up at? Been around mags for years and havent seen or heard of these before... learn something new every day.

I know you already stated they were the regular USGI finish, but would you do a double take and make sure they're not Teflon? Labelle made a number of Teflon magazines for different firearm manufactuers using their floor plates. Eagle Arms, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc.

Thanks,

Cody @ Magazine Specialties
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
kgpcr4 hit it. The mags are from, or more correctly were sold by Oly Arms. They bought other company's (usually DPMS, quite a few curved 20 rounders) magazines and installed the SGW floorplates.

SGW=Schuetzen Gun Works. Bob Schuetz is the owner of OlyArms. I think his wife is listed as the actual owner but he runs things.

SGW was his original company from 1956. He formed Oly Arms in the early 80's. Safari Arms, and Cast Industries (both bought from the original owners of the name) are other companies in the "empire".

Mark,
Are they in clear plastic (like sandwich bags) bags? Or resealed USGI bags?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to check out the wrappers this weekend. I picked them up on a auction that had them listed as USGI 30rd mags. When I was checking the baseplates for the manufacture I discovered they said SGW. I have never seen any others like these.

Mark
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrappers are typical USGI type with only a NSN # and nothing else on the wrapper. I am 99% sure they are not teflon coated.

Mark
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top