Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2003 7:42:59 PM EDT
I have a question about Chrome Silicon Springs.

David Tubb(Superior Shooting Systems) and MD Labs offers replacement extra power Chrome Silicon Springs for AR-15 mags at around $10.00 per spring.  These two companys make what they are selling.

Lippman Enterprises, CMMG, Buffer Technologies, and others offer Chrome Silicon Springs at a cost of around $5.00 per spring.  The only problem is no one offering the $5.00 spring states or advertises who or what company made the spring.

Is it Wolff, MD Labs, or what?  It makes me curious as to the quality of the cheaper springs.  Does anyone have any ideas or experiences?  Is the price difference a quality matter or simply a volume wholesale issue?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Deadeye I was wondering the same thing because I just ordered twenty silicone springs and greenfollowers from DSA. I want to install them into some SA80 Mags that I have and would like to Know if there is a definite advantage over the generic springs
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a huge difference between chrome silicon springs and regular USGI springs.

The springs we sold, and I'm guessing at least the first two companies you mentioned got their springs from the same company. We got ours from Murphy Research, they are a USGI contractor. The chrome silicon springs made by Murphy Research have more than 1000 times the memory as regular USGI springs. These do not take set. They also have a parkerized coating on them to withstand rust in a salt-spray environment. This enables them to remain rust free for up to 72 hours. Chrome Silicon springs are excellent.

I do not know much about MD labs. I do not know whether their springs have the parkerized coating or not. I would venture to guess that they are both a quality spring. The price difference is most likely attributed either high manufacturing costs to MD Labs, or they have a quite large profit margin.

Cody @ Magazine Specialties
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the education Computerguy! The more I surf this forum the smarter I get!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!  Anyone else have any comments?  Anyone have any experience with chrome silicon mags?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You can always ask Kevin yourself over on the MD labs forum.

[url=http://64.177.53.248/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=M.D.+Labs+&number=5]MD Labs[/url]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top