Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 10:31:46 PM EDT
Why do my Okay mags look brown underneath the anodizing? I have seen this in many mags that are well worn so I'm not worried, just wondering.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean under the gray DFL (Dry Film Lubricant) finish?  The anodizing should be gold or silver, and if you have worn through that, it should be raw aluminum colored.  Some mags have a kinda weird copperish color, dunno why, but they are USGIs as far as I can tell.  Anodizing is the layer of Aluminum oxide on top of the aluminum itself; its much harder than regular aluminum and is relatively durable.  This layer is created by running a current through the piece in an acid solution.  The gray stuff is DFL or Permaslik.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The brown is the anodizing. Anodize is a clear chemical conversion process. The brown is a dye added to give a color. Typically just to make processed product easily discernable from unprocessed. The gray topcoat is a dry film (moly) sprayed or dipped on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If the anodizing is brown, what is the shiny, silver coat directly underneath the DFL and above the brown part. I thought that was the anodizing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of such a thing. You sure it's not just the moly worn smooth?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I never thought of that. does the DFL wear to a shiny finish?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen it very smooth, especially after oil gets on it. It's not what I'd call shiny, but next to the slightly rough surface of unworn moly it could be interpreted that way.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top