Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 10:43:21 AM EDT
Howdy all,

I shot my AR-15 again last night, getitng ready for a 3 gun match Saturday. Mainly I was just making sure it still worked, and showing a buddy of mine how it works and getting him comfortable/confident with it. Well, the first two or thre mags went well, then it started Failing To Extract. Did this for several rounds, then worked like a champ. Changed mags, did the same thing for several rounds, then worked fine.

I think it's caused by the magazines. I just put in new springs (super duper chromium springs and plain ol' GI springs from magazine specialties) and I think maybe they're still too stiff. The first three mags we used we only loaded with 10-20 rounds each, all the rest had 30 in them. I also noticed I really had to smack them in to get them to latch up.

Think this is the case? Or could it be something else? Anything I can do other than load up only 20 rounds per mag?

Thanks!

-Skuld
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
How is it failing to extract?  Stovepipe?  Rim ripped off?  

Strong mag springs don't usually cause FTEs; sometimes causes FTFeeds, though.  Doing this with several mags dosen't sound like a mag issue.  It sounds like a one or all of these factors: really dirty/gunked chamber, weak extractor spring, dull/out-of-spec extractor, bad ammo, loose gas block.  I would make sure that the ammo is good, the bolt, extractor, spring, ejector is good and clean, and the chamber is clean.  

Ghost
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top