Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 3:58:00 PM EDT
Just redid 6 mags, came out great but just got back from the range and Ive got small scratches all over the place on them. Ill have to admit I am not supercareful with the mags,, but I dont throw them around either. Is this what I can expect from Permaslik? I am not bitching at all, just was wondering if this is normal...They came out great but seem to scratch easily.... John
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats exactly how mine came out. I think the re-finish process is way overrated, at least with using the PermsSlik. The same company that makes PermaSlik makes another product that would be a lot better, problem is they only sell it in 5 gallon sizes, whici makes it cost prohibitive. Its an actual bake on finish, that would likely work a lot better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Most guys are baking the Perma slick. Also did you remove the excess finish with a papertowel and CLP?  You might just be losing the excess finish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres what I did:
-clean and degrease after dissassemlby
- baked at 200 deg to dry completely
- sprayed on 2-3 very thin coats
- let sit about 3 hrs
- baked 2 of em at 300 deg for 10 min or so and just let the others air cure.
-reassembled
The baked ones were as durable as the non baked ones.. Like I said I cant bitch, they really came looking new, just was wondering if others had the same experience..But.. no I did not wipe off and CLP them. Ive got two more to do. Ill try it as you recommend this time around.. Thanks for the hint!   John
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know if you quite understand what I am saying.  Many people say the finish comes off really easy after they are finshed with refinishing.  Many times this is just excess powdered Moly that could not stick.  Rub all your mags with a paper towel and CLP, like right now.  If you suddenly have an even finish what wore off was just the unbonded surface layer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha.. Got some Damn fine lookin mags now!! Thanks for the help.. John
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
On a somewhat related note,,,,any opnions on using this stuff to refinish a charging handle? Would it work/last long?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
#1: I wouldn't fool with it ON the weapon itself

#2: there's 2 camps on this rubbing/buffing business. The first is to rub it off for that uniform "tactical' look. I call this the "form" argument. The next is that what comes off so easily is that which lubricates the drop free process of a mag release the "function" argument. Remember, magazines in the field are like condoms; use once & drop. Permaslick simulates the finish of this era's magazine finish.

There are bigger, badder, & more durable finishes out there, but the trade-off is cost and more steps regarding application.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top