Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 10:05:54 AM EDT
How bout it guys, which do you think is the best bet?

Regards,
Mortis...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
SA80,  steel over plastic anyday!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Steel is heavier and could rust.  I'll take Thermold over the brits.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Steel is heavier and could rust.  I'll take Thermold over the brits.
View Quote

Ditto.

(USA made Thermolds, not Canadian)

I have heard good things about the quality of these Brit mags, but I've had steel mags rust on me in storage. It is no good in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thermolds.  Light weight and no failures of any kind to date in my ARs.  The SA80 mags are heavy, but cool to have around.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
SA80 by far!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]

SA80 mags for me. They make the thermacraps look like junk.

Sure they may rust if stored long time, but used often at the range and enjoyed, they are worth it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the investment POV. "Thermolds" (Thermelts are Canadian, not US made Thermolds) are discontinued. as such they are actually worth something, particularly after 2004 when USGIs will become a dime a dozen. When USGIs become sell at $15 or so new NOBODY will be buying the english magazines. Thermolds are a collector's item that will withstand the years of climate AND they work better in some AR pistols than USGIs do. The only role Brit mags fulfilled was to offer an affordable quality magazine to shooters during the ban. After the ban they will be worth less than dirt.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had thermolds for various weapons for many years. My first ones were for a mini-14.  I loved the standard 30 rounders. The 45 round ones were junk. Never saw a 20. Only problem I have with them is that they are ribbed (doesn't like to fit into mag holders) and I did have 1 (THAT IS ONE) break a feed lip. This was a long-long time ago. Was winter and was very cold. The magazine was loaded into my car the night before. I think this was around 1988. One drop on the feedlips on a bench and it was toast. Spit every round out. Sent it back and they replaced it. Ever since then I have been untrusting of them. Being in the military I have found that new looking GI mags work perfectly. Used ones suck. If the Brits are perfect dimensions with GI's, I'll go steel. Steel may rust, but will take a while. My Remington mags are steel and don't rust and are not parkarized. The lower receiver is anodized which I am told is harder than parkarizing. This means the mag will wear, not the lower.

Thanks for the opinions and pls let me know what you think about these thoughts.

Mortis...
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top