User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 5:44:32 PM EDT
I bought some 20 round steel mags that are marked on the floorplate:
 "COLT AR-15"   There is no "Pony"
 MADE IN USA
They have black followers.   Are these mags any good? or did I buy some junk?
http://www.hunt101.com/img/060357.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/060358.jpg
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought some 20 round steel mags that are marked on the floorplate:
 "COLT AR-15"   There is no "Pony"
 MADE IN USA
They have black followers.   Are these mags any good? or did I buy some junk?
View Quote

It sounds like you just got shitty steel mags with colt floorplates .
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
"It sounds like you just got shitty steel mags with colt floorplates."

actually i believe you just got took !! even the newer Colt mags as cheap as they are, still have a "Pony" in the circle...!!

AND !!! they do not have "COLT AR-15" stamped in them !!! what did you pay for them ?? did you buy them locally or over the I-net ??
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
From your description of the mags they sound like dead ringers for the worst mags in the world, "USA".  Unless you paid a penny a mag you got took.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought them on the internet from an individual, I don't think he knew that they were junk.  I'll check and see if they work when I get my rifle.  Hopefully they will.
I did pay more than a penny.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
post a pic
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
P806 you have an in bound email.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
30 rnd marked colt ar15 made in usa . forest.co . 12 for 108. mine have no green . junk? ill fillem with cement and go night fishing .
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Woodbutcher..I'm not quite following what your saying.

I would like to post a pic, just not sure how.  I can email 2 pictures to someone that knows how.  If you would like to do this, email me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
forrest co, ad in shotgun news. 108.50 per 12. bought before they added the green followers. marked colt ar-15. made in usa onfloorplate. junk?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Pictures are now posted.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to all of you for the information.

TROY-  I did read the post at the top about the mag brands.  I  bought these on an impulse and made the mistake.  I never once blamed anyone, especially you!!!
At least I'm man enough to admit it and maybe this will help others to not make the same mistake that I did.  

Thanks again to the rest of you for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Found them on Sportsman's Guide.  They came in plastic bags with labels saying they were made by Colt.  I have a couple and they work, surprisingly.  Obviously they aren't really Colt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks Collin for the positive thoughts,  I hope they work for me, should have my rifle in a couple of weeks.
Did you change the followers to green or are you using the black ones?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
dont know if it is me but the feedlips look like shit man. get some of the brit mags ammoman has 100000times better
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow! Those feed lips look like somebody smacked'em with a big ol' hammer or they were formed without something like a die or something.  Hand formed feedlips, Yikes!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]
If the dealer won't take them back, and he probably won't, I would smash those mags and replace the bodies with the nice, new, USGI-spec, teflon coated mag bodies that CMMG is selling on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the dealer won't take them back, and he probably won't, I would smash those mags and replace the bodies with the nice, new, USGI-spec, teflon coated mag bodies that CMMG is selling on the EE.
View Quote

Too bad he's sold out...but he has another shipment coming...I'll be doing that.

Quoted:
thanks Collin for the positive thoughts, I hope they work for me, should have my rifle in a couple of weeks.
Did you change the followers to green or are you using the black ones

I didn't change the followers, I'm just using them as really cheap range mags...and then smashing them when the new mag bodies arrive.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#19]
When the AW ban goes away may be we can get some well made mag's (new ones)again at a fair price.I would like a couple of the hi cap mags for my 10/22 but im not going to pay $50 a pop as ive seen.I wonder how much they would be when there is no ban?There are plenty of junk mags out there, Ive had a few in the past.I have several after market mags made by Promag, and they are exellant quality, for my handguns and rifles. I aquired a dozen 20 round AR mags made by Promag and never have they failed me and they fit the magwell like a glove. I would be looking at them when ban goes away for hi cap mags.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#20]
i got into an arguement with a vendor at a funshow when he tried to push those things on me.

First off their garbage. Second even the "Colt Floor plates" are fake. 3rd the feed lips look, well "loose".
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Sadly my favorite ammo vendor on the crapshow circuit started carrying AR/AK mags.

I made my usually purchase and then came back to take a look at his mags. I inquired that "he recently started carrying mags?"

He sheepishly stated "yes i have some new items"....

I mozied on over and guess what kind of AR mags he had? These exact mags in 20 rnders and 30rnders. Must have been a batch of these things released somewhere and they are being passed out left n right.

I didnt say a word and he turned around and went to help some other buyers. I didn't even have to say anything about the mags. but i will still buying for the ammo stockpile from him.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dcoke76-  He sheepishly stated "yes i have some new items"....
View Quote

Even vendors get screwed sometimes. yes? no? Thats how I take your post. Or are you saying he knows you know they're crap, and he doesn't want to talk about it because hes ashamed of trying to pass off shitty mags to customers?

I have a total of 11 30rd mags so far, and Ive only made one purchase I regret, I bought one of those crappy aftermarket steel mags and thankfully the store I bought it from took it back no questions asked. It plainly said steel on the label, and I quickly assumed they were the British steel mags. I think I know what I need to know now about what to buy and what to avoid, and most of it I learned right here on this forum! Thank you fellow posters!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By dcoke76-  He sheepishly stated "yes i have some new items"....
View Quote

Or are you saying he knows you know they're crap, and he doesn't want to talk about it because hes ashamed of trying to pass off shitty mags to customers?
View Quote

That was the feeling I received... He knew those AR mags werent the best but was sellling them anyway.

Great guy and great service on everything else though.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#24]
THOSE ARE WHAT YOU CALL "SAIL MAGS".  HERES HOW THEY ARE MADE TO WORK.
1.  LAY THEM ON THE PAVEMENT.
2.  BACK YOUR PICK UP TRUCK OVER THEM TO FLATTEN THEM OUT REALLY GOOD.
3.  PICK THEM UP AND THROW THEM SIDEARM AND WATCH THEM SAIL THROUGH THE AIR.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#25]
dan that is funny :)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top