Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2003 9:21:59 AM EDT
Just imagine that in Sept 2004 after the ban sunsets and providing that no new leg. is passed we will be able to legally posses mags that say LEO/GOVT use only.  I can imagine some Buford T. Justice country cop who doesn't know two bits about the ban see that and maybe try to arrest you or take away your mags.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a damned good point.

Perhaps it would be worth while to see if we can get all of our local law enforcement departments to give mandatory training classes to all officers and deputies on the upcoming ban sunset, showing them that, yes, after the ban, you CAN have an LEO  marked, post-ban, high cap magazine, and all the "evil features" you want on your rifle.

It seems to me that it wouldn't take all that long. Probably a half hour training session for each shift is all that would be needed.   Five minutes is enough, so allot 15 plus another 15 for everybody to get set up with coffee and donuts.  [brick]

CJ
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That is an excellent point, but IMO the mag manufacturers will lose no time in removing the stamp from the control plan and process flow diagram since it would no longer be required, given your scenario.  True, there would be lots of LEO-marked mags out there, but fresh "stamp-free" production would flood the market, I think.

Noah
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In my experience departments only train officers on topics that will get the city sued or on the front page of the local paper.

Oh, they throw in officer survival topics if they have extra time.

Imagine the nightmare to enforce banned magazines if this sunsets for just one day.

I have a hard time imagining a scenario that involves an LEO squinting at the print on the side of your mag, unless something much more serious is already gong on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just imagine that in Sept 2004 after the ban sunsets and providing that no new leg. is passed we will be able to legally posses mags that say LEO/GOVT use only.  I can imagine some Buford T. Justice country cop who doesn't know two bits about the ban see that and maybe try to arrest you or take away your mags.
View Quote

Well since you made this idiotic point.

The federal AW law makes it a federal crime to possess full-cap mags made after the ban, and AW configured weapons made after the ban.

So most local LEA's don't even attempt to enforce the ban. Many will say they don't have the authority to enforce federal law. Of course some states have laws that mirror or are somewhat similar to the AW ban, so they will still enforce those laws, since they don't sunset.

So in most places, they don't care about the FEDERAL AW ban, today, nor will they care about it after it sunsets.

BACK UNDER THE BRIDGE.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
RUGERMAN1022,

If we should be so lucky to see this disgusting AWB repealed, and if a person was worried about the stamping after the repeal of the ban, they could simply take some JB WELD compound and fill over the stamping, sand it down, steel wool it smooth and then hit it with Perma Slik or Hoppes Moly coat. (Repeating "AFTER" the REPEAL)

Mrs. Brady, would you care to buy a vowel?

G_  F_CK  Y_ _ RS_LF!

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
When was the last time someone checked to see if all your mags complied with the current law?
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The  fact that no cop has ever examined your magazines is a moot point.

Cops shoot at our private range all the time, and the SWAT sniper team is there at least once a month.  They are professionsal, but will still laugh and joke with other shooters and examine AR15 setups and new scopes other shooters have on their black rifles.  As far as I know, no one has ever been hassled over any preban/postban nonsense.

However, if a search warrant is issued for your home, for whatever reason, anything found to be in violation of the law will be stacked to get you to plea bargain.  You can plan on having your computer seized and examined, your personal papers scrutinized, your gun safe gone through, etc., etc.

Play it safe and don't break the law!  It's embarrasing for the local DA to kick in the door and then have to apologize for a mistake, so believe it: they will search your home and thet will find a justification for getting a judge to sign a warrant.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top