Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2003 1:09:23 PM EDT
Yes, if you'd like some free Orlites, you can just poke through the trash cans at my local club range.

I had a total of about six of these, and one by one they've are making their way to the trash can.  I started out with a couple and added 4 more from AIM.  One came with broken lips.  One for the trash.

I loved them at first, then I began to notice how many annoying problems they were causing.  The most common was the first round popping out on insertion, or double-feeding, or worse.

Last week I finally got sick of them.  I would try them at the same time with a USGI 20 rounder, USGI 30's & a steel Brit.  Every time I had a failure, it was the Orlite.  The other mags worked perfectly... Having had enough, first one, then later a second went in the trash.  Three left.

Yesterday I went out and had the WORST jam I've ever had on an AR.  The top round popped out as the bolt was coming forward and got jammed between the bolt and the inside of the upper.  AAAaaerrrrgghh!  I had to pry it back with the screwdriver blade of a SAK.  When I got it free, I had a chance to use my LULA for its #2 function: speed-unloading that blasted Orlite mag.  Into the trash it went.

So my range bag "island" is down to two Orlite survivors.  Those two are on notice that the FIRST time they screw-up, its into the trash can!!!

Thankfully I have a good supply of USGI's and SA-80's, which I'll be adding to, to make up for the Orlites.

Life is too short to mess around with Orlites!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, I think you couldve bought replacement bodies and crushed the old ones.

Provided of course that they have the same or similar follower/floorplate as USGI ones.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Every component on an Orlite is different than USGI. Carbine_Man took the proper course of action. Some things just aren't worth forking with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You wouldn't be able to pay me to use them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 100 of them. Pieces of shit. I bought them before I knew any better. I guess I'll have to start using them as targets. I dropped one once in the back seat of my truck and it spewed all over. I never found all 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every component on an Orlite is different than USGI. Carbine_Man took the proper course of action. Some things just aren't worth forking with.
View Quote

Hmm, just wondering. I dont have and dont plan on getting any orlites.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have 100 of them. Pieces of shit. I bought them before I knew any better. I guess I'll have to start using them as targets. I dropped one once in the back seat of my truck and it spewed all over. I never found all 30 rounds.
View Quote

need my addy? il pay shipping.
thanks
ray
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel the same way.  I have 9, but never use them.  Always go w/ the USGI.  But, they do take up space in my mag box, so I guess I'll keep em!

Brad
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
SEND YOUR ORLITES TO ME!!!!

I'm, never going to use my AR in combat, nor do I pretend to. My standards are a tad more day to day realistic...  I'll take all you've got.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell, I'll take any and all available also.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll take free Orlites. I would like to have 2....IM me. I'll pay shipping.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
They make perfect range mags for me.....Send them all this way, and I'd be glad to pay shipping
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have 100 of them.  ... I bought them before I knew any better.
View Quote

IM sent concerning serious offer to buy some of these orlites for dedicated M261 use. Please contact me at [email protected] if the IM does not get through.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Although I am very unhappy with the Orlites I am planning on keeping a few of the good ones.

My major complaint is that they fit rather tight in two of my lowers and I cannot use them with the 458 SOCOM. They just dont have the strenth to keep the SOCOM rounds in the mag. I a trying them all out to find which ones work in my guns and I am throwing the ones with bad feed lips in the trash. When I sell I'll let you guys know
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They make perfect range mags for me.....Send them all this way, and I'd be glad to pay shipping
View Quote
Why is it acceptable to suffer from cartridges popping out, your rifle getting jammed, misfeeds, double deeds, etc. at the range?   C_M
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Why is it acceptable to suffer from cartridges popping out, your rifle getting jammed, misfeeds, double deeds, etc. at the range?   C_M
View Quote

It's not.  See if he'll trade the whole lot for one USGI mag.  I'd put money on the fact that you'd be better off in the long run.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top