Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 6:16:15 PM EDT
Hypothetically speaking:  If I hypothetically went to a hypothetical gun shop and bought some hypothetical mags that had the following markings, what should I hypothetically do?

04/00

Above is what is hypothetically stamped on the hypothetical mag bodies.  What would I hypothetically do?  Would such mags be illegal?  Would I hypothetically take them back to the shop and explain that there has been a hypothetical error and that I would like a hypothetical refund?  Please hypothetically help me.  Sorry for all the hypothetical questions, but I need help here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are manufactured after the 94 AWB/highcap ban. I would hypothetically get rid of those hypothetical mags so that one does'nt run into hypothetical trouble with the JBTS, Or hypothetically hide those mags untill the AWB hypothetically sunsets in Sept '03.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...untill the AWB hypothetically sunsets in Sept '03.
View Quote

Correction - Ban sunset in Sept '04
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...untill the AWB hypothetically sunsets in Sept '03.
View Quote

Correction - Ban sunset in Sept '04
View Quote

's what I meant. Probably wishful thinking in that typo[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The letter of the law regarding high cap, post-ban magazines specifically requires their status to be identified by a date stamp, and you have that. Hypothetically.    So they would be definitely illegal for a civilian to own at this time.

Hypothetically, if they disappeared until after the ban sunsets in 9/04, after that day they would be legal to own,  but if you chose to pursue that route, you would wish to take steps to ensure that they are cached in a location and manner that would ensure that they could not be proven to be yours if by some chance they were to turn up and be investigated.  

Hypothetically,  I would do something like this by using multiple layers of plastic bags, an element resistant sealable outer enclosure,  a shovel, a GPS, a good memory, and a suitable piece of public land out in the boonies.  And everything to be buried would be carefully cleaned and sterilized of fingerprints, etc. with the aid of cleaning fluids, gloves, etc.

Probably it would be better to return them for legal mags.

CJ

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Hypothetically, would it be possible to grab some preban USA mags, destroy them (but keep on hand for proof that no new mags were manufactured), and use as replacements?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hypothetically, why would you want to?  The USA mag shells are steel and they suck.  Not because they're steel, but because they're poorly made.

USGI guts in a USA mag results in your still having a mag that sucks.   A waste of USGI guts.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Bury them in the back yard for about one year.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody ELSE's back yard.

Like on public land, as I mentioned before.  Some place where you'd need a shovel, a GPS, and a decent memory for local landmarks.

A very specialized form of geocaching.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
cmjohnson, I think he's suggesting smashing the pre-ban USA mag bodies, and using the post-ban bodies as 'replacements'.

Would that be legal?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Hypothetically, you could just send 'em to me and I'll hypothetically 'dispose'of them for ya'. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Or you can do what the dishonest mag dealers out there do and drill a hole through the date.

Then it becomes a "Navy Seal mag with drain hole for amphibious operatoins"[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Or you can do what [red]RGUNS[/red] does and drill a hole through the date.
View Quote

Or just spray some teflon on it and call it 'Mil-Spec'. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
cmjohnson, I think he's suggesting smashing the pre-ban USA mag bodies, and using the post-ban bodies as 'replacements'.

Would that be legal?
View Quote

Yeah, I see that now.

Interestingly enough, replacement mag bodies ARE legal.  And I guess it's OK to replace the spring, floorplate, and follower, too.

If you retained a smashed mag body as proof that each mag with the date stamp was a replacement, then you just MIGHT be able to get away with it.

Interesting loophole....anyone care to stick his neck in it to see what happens?

CJ
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I say you'd take the hypothetical mags back to the hypothetical dealer that sold them to you, get your hypothetical money back, and kick his hypothetical ass for endangering your RKBA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would that be legal?
View Quote

Yeah, I see that now.

Interestingly enough, replacement mag bodies ARE legal.  And I guess it's OK to replace the spring, floorplate, and follower, too.

If you retained a smashed mag body as proof that each mag with the date stamp was a replacement, then you just MIGHT be able to get away with it.

Interesting loophole....anyone care to stick his neck in it to see what happens?

CJ
View Quote

Exactly. Smash the junk USA prebans, keep as proof that you didn't manufacture new ones, and use the dated ones as "replacements". You're not manufacturing new ones, just replacing old ones (albeit junk old ones).

Perhaps resident mag guru Troy could enlighten us?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Take them back.  You have the receipt, right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Glock with one of these hypothetical L.E.U.O. magazines in it with realizing it.  I took it back to the dealer and said "Hey.. you can't legally sell this to me."  They said well... the cop who sold us the gun wasn't supposed to sell them to use either, he was supposed to turn them in.  Swell.

I got the gun as a "house gun" and figured that's all I need to do, shoot someone with the gun with the  hypothetical magazine in it and be double screwed.  I sent it to my Bro-in-law who uses the same gun on the job.

If you don't get your money back...  if you know any understanding L.E.O.'s , they might hold onto them for you for a year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I KNEW there was a reason I was hanging on to those three junk USA steel mags...!

Suddenly I have discovered that the shells are irreparably damaged and must be replaced with LEGAL, newly made USGI mag bodies.

CJ
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top