Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 8:00:25 PM EDT
Well, I bought these several years ago.  I have atleast 10-15 30 rnd mags and a few 40 rnd mags. All USA...These were purchased before the I discovered AR-15.com.  I do have a few good ones as well O-KAY.  (wish I would have had my AR's before LaBelle Industries sold...since I freaking live in Oconomowoc WI.

My question: What can I do with these? (no, not tossing out)  Is it worth my time to put in new green followers and springs?  If so, send me over some links of the best deals currently.  

Thanks for helping me out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not bother. But if you want green followers, check out computer-guy in the EE, he has them very cheap. He also has cool blaze orange followers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You could take these apart, buy the replacement bodies (USGI spec plus teflon coating) and build new ones with those.  Just be sure to crush the USA mags with a mallet and keep them in a box somewhere as evidence that you were using the new bodies to replace the junk mags.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
 If you do rework them, check the feed lips of them and compare with a milspec or other good mag, and use needle-nose pliers to shape as necessary.
 I have salvaged some cheapos in this way, using a dremel or file to smooth burs, and a ruler with millimeter marks to measure gap btween feed lips and such.
 Shotgun News has ads for green followers and maybe Wolff spring kits.  Brownell's has the Wolff spring kits.
 I just left the springs as is and changed followers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
All right, another Wisconsinite. Be sure to check the hometown forum, and if you live in the metro Milwaukee area, lets goet together and blast some off!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#5]
sell them on ebay.  i got $20 for a 40rd usa mag a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
(USGI spec plus teflon coating)
View Quote
<<
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
(USGI spec plus teflon coating)
View Quote
<<
View Quote

You can find them here:

[url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=171982]Replacement Bodies[/url]

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I would get new mag bodies or throw them away.  I made the mistake of buying 6 of them a few years ago.  Of the original 6, only one still works (probably not for long).  When they go (at least with mine), it is because of the feed lips.  It is a very interesting malfunction.  When the round on the damaged side hits the feed lip, it is tossed out of the mag.  Then your rifle also tries to pull a round out of the mag.  Two rounds going into the same chamber does not work very well and is very frustrating.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll buy the new bodies then.  I 'assume' these are fairly simple to assemble.. I use 'assume' lightly.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it  legal to buy these mag bodies, use new springs and followers, and only the base plate from the old mags?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it  legal to buy these mag bodies, use new springs and followers, and only the base plate from the old mags?  
View Quote

If you mean the old baseplates from USGI mags, then yes I bellieve it is.  If you are talking about old USA or other aftermarket mags, the best thing to do is throw away the springs, followers and baseplates from the junk mags.  Crush the mag bodies with a hammer or mallet and keep them in a box in the closet or somewhere.  Then just buy the bodies and new rebuild kits.  That way, all the components are in-spec parts.  

Either way, as long as the old bodies are crushed and kept, you have proof that these mags were just replacements.  The rest of the parts are not of consequence as long as you don't have more useable mag bodies than you started out with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, then actually, I can even replace the floorplate, provided I have the crushed old mag body to prove I replaced a damaged preban mag?  Is that right?

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, then actually, I can even replace the floorplate, provided I have the crushed old mag body to prove I replaced a damaged preban mag?  Is that right?

View Quote

Yes, You just can't have extra bodies lying around.  You can only have the same number of serviceable/potentially functional mag bodies that you started out with.  The rest are spare parts, as long as you have the crushed bodies to prove you only rebuilt what was damaged, the rest of the parts can be kept as spares.

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple USA mags that I got the day I got my bushmaster. I haven't used them much because I got some USGI mags not long after, but the times I used the USA mags they worked fine. I did put green followers in them as I had some extras, but I haven't used them since putting in the green followers. Taking the floorplate off a usa mag is a pain in the ass though
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never had a problem with aftermarket mags in my SP1 or bushmasters, never got a jam yet.

I did have problems with some cheap USA mags for a 9mm firestar so I wont buy **any** usa mags again.

I just bought a shitload of western metal AR15 mags new in the wrapper $7.00 each for 30rd, $11.00 each for 40rd. Replace the BF with GF and they run great. Cheaper than USGI, just as reliable, new teflon coated mags look better than beat up GI mags.

I never heard any bad things said about aftermarket mags (other than usa) among my friends and people I know who use them. The only downside to steel is it can dent if you really wack it on something.

I will continue to build up my stockpile of cheap aftermarket mags because they work, and they have to be cheap enough that I can pop um and drop um.

And I wouldn't touch those replacement mag bodys with a ten foot pole, #1 they cost too much, #2 great way to get your name on the ATF shit list.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Where did you buy the Western Mags?  Website?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought those from an old friend, I ordered 200 mags from him long time ago, I poped him an email asking what he had left and scooped them up.

He use to sell them on gunbroker.com
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Look at the magazine ranking guide that Troy has put together.  I wouldn't bet by life in a SHTF situation on one of those mags.  And getting on the ATF shit list for buying the replacement bodies, I don't thinks so.  They'd be less happy with you buying the AR in the first place don't ya think?.... Just my .02
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top