Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2003 5:13:45 PM EDT
before giving them the Perma-silk treatment? I have access to a sandblaster, and wanted to know if this would provide an even better finish than just washing them with soap and water. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think that sandblasting could end up doing more harm than good if you weren't very, very careful.  I washed mine with an SOS pad and warm water it stripped off the old finish completely.  It only took a minute or two per mag and they came out great.  

IMHO using an SOS pad will give you the same result as sandblasting but without the risk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sandblasting mags is an ultimately stupid idea.

You'll lose the anodizing if you do that, and you'll be left with magazines that have very little scratch and wear resistance.  

Just clean 'em.  Don't use anything abrasive on them, and then apply permaslik or whatever.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
At MOST, I would use a very low pressure walnut hull blast.  AT MOST. You WANT the anodizing, or if they're really old, the alodyne coating.

Heed the advice from the others. Don't do it.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not blast the mags.  As others have said, it will remove the anodizing (electrochemical conversion of the surface of the aluminum to aluminum oxide, provides corrosion protection).

The hot water and Dawn wash followed by a wipedown out in the open with acetone or methyl ethyl ketone is the most that you would need.  The solvent wipe will remove any loosely-bonded remaining Permaslik, and if you wipe enough it will remove most of it.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok, just a thought. Not a good one, but a thought non-the-less. I try not to do it much, it hurts my brain.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top