Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 8:28:42 AM EDT
Ok, I used the redneck method but the mags look great. Scrubbed them down with an SOS pad first, then washed again with dishwashing detergeant, dried. I put them on newspaper, sprayed one side, waited 15 mins, sprayed the other--repeated this 3 times. They came out great. I slapped some CLP on them this morning.
No oven, no praying, no high tech stripping solvents; just numerous "light" coats.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Steve,

besied the fact that yo did nothang the mags to spray, that was a perfectly acceptable way of doing it.  I've done it both ways (spray mags, that is).  But, why in the world would you apply CLP to a moly coated aluminum mag?

This will take off the finish won't it, and two why would you get potential dirt and gunk attracting substance on/in your mags?

just curious
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The CLP didn't hurt the finish at all--of course I let it cure a full 24hrs. I did it for 2 reasons: 1) I wanted to know that the finish could "take" lube 2) My thinking is that keeping a light coat of CLP on the mags will reduce finish wear. So far both are proving correct.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats the trick THIN COATS and i mean thin!
I used KTX spray oil that Microtech use on there knives I think it works a bit better than CLP
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#4]
After scrubbing in the sink with a little detergent in hot water, and rinsing well, I will  put them in the oven preheated to 200F, then turned off, with the light on, to dry out thoroughly.  This has NOTHING to do with curing the dry moly lube, only with drying out the water still in the seams of the mag body.

And two LIGHT coats of dry moly is plenty.  The thicker it is, the easier it will scratch off.  Yes, you will need to recoat them occasionally, so?

Before reassembly I will wipe down the springs with CLP, but as for any other oil lubriction, no.  It will just attract grit, and is not needed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you just do the outside of the mags? How about inside.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I spray the insides with Remington Dri-Lube. Goes in wet but drys to a dry white film that does not attract moisture or dirt.

Bob
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top