Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2003 1:56:51 PM EDT
I saw a month or so ago a thread about an ammo can that was a perfect fit for the 30 round mags.  I thought it was just the standard 50 cal can, but upon futher inspection at my local Army/Navy Surplus store I found out they are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch too short?  Can anyone enlighten me as to the correct can please.

Thanks,

Rp

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an old can from WW2 that says 30 carbine and it looks like it woul hold 30 rounders perfectly, ill try and see when i get some 30 rounders
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

What I actualy saw was a 2x10 configuration or something similar.  The 30 cal would be a 1x10 I would assume?

Thanks,

rp
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Rpwhite:

A PA108 ("SAW") can is about an inch larger than an M2A1 ("50 cal") and will accomodate four rows of seven standard USGI or British 30s in a tight fit, or four rows of six 30s which are in plastic bags; mags are standing up with their floorplates flat on the bottom of the can.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks,

In talking with the owner of the store he told me he only gets the 50/30 cal cans and the rocket launcher cans.  I guess i will have to visit the next Gun Show and get some.

Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Rpwhite,

Go to www.ammo-oracle.com
and near the bottom.

Q. Can I store ammo pre-loaded in magazines for an extended period of time?  Won't the magazine springs wear out and cause feeding problems?  Shouldn't I rotate my mags?

Shouldn't be a problem;

No and;

Probably not.

What wears out springs are cycles of compression and expansion and also over-compression.  So, every time you "rotate" your mags, you are causing additional wear by cycling the spring.  Loading and unloading magazines will cause more problems than loading and storing them for good.  For best results USGI magazines are probably the best bet because many aftermarket magazines use cheap springs.

One AR15.com member reportedly discovered a fully loaded 20 round USGI mag that was loaded in the Vietnam era.  20 some years later it not only functioned fine but continues to do so.  Others have reported 1911 mags and Luger mags loaded up since World War II that continued to function perfectly when first fired after 40 years.

When you're ready to pack them away, you can fit 28 loaded USGI 20 round mags in a .50 cal ammo can if you lay them down sideways 4 to a layer.  You can also fit 14 USGI 30 rounders this way, with a lot of slack space left over.

.30 cans will hold 14 USGI 20 rounders laid flat without a hitch.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I had those NODS ammo cans with the padding in them.  They worked great for 16 30rd mags.  I hadn't had any luck getting any more, and lost my ass on shipping anyway.

I don't know if they are possibly surplused somewhere else though.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top