Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2003 7:15:17 AM EDT
I have never had a problem with USGI 20 Mags with metal followers EVER! I have Perma Silk all my 20 round mags and they Look Brand New Other than the metal Follower wich was hard to come clean and have some spots?

Should I put New Green cut down Plastic Followers in just to make them look even better?

Or should I stick with the metal ones Since they all FUNCTION PERFECT!

I would hate to switch Followers and the plastic  are not as reliable as the metal followers are?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#1]
'--If it isn't broke'.  If your old followers are really bad, check EE, member 79transam has
replacement alloy followers for the 20 round mags for $5 ea.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
FMJ- I have more 20 rounders than 30s. I have yet had one mag to not function. Some one over at the EE has a bunch of green 20 round followers for sale @ $1 each. I am tempted to buy some. I have both black plastic and alloy followers. I was given these magazines by our Armorer almost 20 years ago because the 30 rounders were the mack daddies. They were going to throw them away! The finish on some was 0% and the rest were at least 80%. I now have a new can of Perma Silk G, and am waiting for the high humidity to go away. I thought about replacing some of the followers when I refinish them. Did you "bake" your mags after spraying them? I guess my alloy followers will look out of place too after refinishing the mag bodies. CCMG has the followers for 1$ each over at EE.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought several of the green followers from CMMG for the 20 round magazines.  I agree with wjshark above about using the alloy followers instead of the green followers.  I put the green followers into the magazine and pushed down on the front end.  The follower tilted inside the magazine and froze there.  The alloy follower is snug and will not do this.  It may look cool, but I don't think the green follower enhances the performance of the magazine.  After I refinish a couple of the 20s, I will add the green follower and give you a range report.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have about 10 20 rounders with alloy followers and like you I don't experience any problems.
My mags aren't shiny and new looking. They are in the 80%-90% range and they WORK great. Therefore I don't mess with them.
I wouldn't mess with a properly working magazine just to make it prettier.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO, one can only go downhill by replacing the alloy follower in a 20 rd USGI AR mag with anything but another alloy follower.

The whole green follower thing applied to 30 rd magazines because of the curve of the mag.  The 20s don't have the problem, so why create one?

Noah
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top