Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2003 5:28:28 AM EDT
I just got a bunch of USGI and British mags. My question is should the mag drop free from the reciver when the mag relese button is pushed. This is w/ a empty mag, example- when doing a tactical mag change.
How much play should a mag have in the mag well?
Sorry if this is a FNG question. Thanks for any info you guys can provide.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they should drop free from the mag well - I run all my mags through my rifles to make sure they drop free from all of them.  

The last thing I need to mess with if I need to reload for real is for a mag to get stuck in the well and I lose even a few seconds [xx(]

If they don't drop free, either the mag well is out of spec, or (much more likely) the mags are bulged.

Troy and others have posted methods on *gently* squeezing mags back into shape using C-clamps, etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
They should drop free and there is always a little play side to side and back and forth,this is the way it should be.The mags should not lock in real tight with no play like stated above the mag could be bulged.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The Brit mags should most definitely drop free with all that weight!

I hope you're not a victim of OLY ARMS, Bud!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, all 27 of my mags drop free from all 5 of my ARs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes they should. If they don't, replace them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes they should. If they don't, replace them.
View Quote

Uh....  we don't even know what the receiver is.  It could be an OLY and such.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Most do, occassionally one wont.  Ive just worked ripping the mag out of the gun into my reload practice.  It aint an IPSC race-gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Rock River lower. Thanks for all your  replies, going to replace the ones that are snug. Maybe replace the mag bodiesw/ new ones I saw on the EE.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top