Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 4:41:44 PM EDT
Gentlemen,

I recently came into a bunch of USGI AR-15 30-rd. magazines.  I have several that are brand new, no insertion marks.  No scrapes on the floorplates.  No re-coating of the finish.  Brand new.

Problem is, I have a bunch that are stamped with the normal "LA BELLE IND" stamp on the floorplate, but the bodies are stamped "Colt Mfg.  Hartford, CT" with date code on the left side of the body, and "Restricted Gov't/Military" blah blah on the right side.

I've never seen this before, and I've seen a mag or two in my time.  These have me stumped.  I can't imagine why someone would swap floorplates on a brand new mag, and the floorplates don't look like they've been removed anyway.

Do any of you gurus know of some sort of deal between Colt and La Belle?  What have I got here?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess would be that someone swapped the Colt marked floor paltes onto "pre-ban" mags, then sold them a "genuine Colt mags"..............
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I would avoid taking the leo mags anywhere public until after the ban expires.  You could technically get in some trouble, unless you're a cop.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll concur with Oly-M4 with this one, someone took Colt floor plates and put them on Labelle mags, probably because he/she/it has a Colt AR and wanted everything to match and didn't want to get into trouble with LE/Gov't use only mags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Consensus from my other sources seems to be swapped floorplates for the Colt pony, just like you guys say.  Doesn't really matter I guess, they'll shoot just fine either way.

Thanks for the help.  And yes, I'm one of those evil JBT's.  Hopefully, come next Sept. it won't matter any more.  Then I can save these mags to show my son how eff'ed up we got at one point in our country.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Labelle (or any other current govt contractor)makes Colt's mags.  It is [i]possible[/i] Labelle put on their own floorplates while making a batch for Colt. But more likely, as per other responses above.

Unless you are a LEO, it might be better to stick them in an ammo can and bury them in the woods and let them age for about 14 months.  

(Edited to add:  Hey, I [i]can[/i] do italics, too!)
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

with date code on the left side of the body, and "Restricted Gov't/Military" blah blah on the right side.
View Quote

blah blah blah = Federal Prison

Bury them on state or federal land
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]
blah blah blah= it's ok because I'm one of the extra-special super-duper highly trained .gov ninja types, rated for these incredibly dangerous, evil, devilmagazines.  

Good thing I'm rated for these, too.  One of them just tried to chase after a school bus.

Thanks for all the quick responses, guys.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

blah blah blah= it's ok because I'm one of the extra-special super-duper highly trained .gov ninja types, rated for these incredibly dangerous, evil, devilmagazines. .
View Quote

Being a cop or in the military DOESN'T make it legal for you to own these for personal purposes.

Granted, if you are a LEO it's unlikely you'd get in trouble, but I think they did just bust a couple cops for illegally owning LEO/MILITARY only configured rifles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
fight4yourrights, you are completely correct.  Fortunately, these are for duty use.  I've got another 50 or 60 pre-bans for off-duty use.

I really believe if we could pass a federal law that made all cops and feds abide by all federal/state/local gun laws just like everbody else, we could get rid of most of the idiot gun laws in about 1 month.  Think the Secret Service would go for 10-rd. magazines?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really believe if we could pass a federal law that made all cops and feds abide by all federal/state/local gun laws just like everbody else, we could get rid of most of the idiot gun laws in about 1 month.  Think the Secret Service would go for 10-rd. magazines?
View Quote

Sand_Pirate,

It's refreshingly surprising to hear you say that.  With the government pandering to appease the LEOs in order to give them "perks" that the rest cannot have, it is nice to hear from a LEO that doesn't believe he is above the law, or more deserving than the rest of the population.

In college, I had a cop in one of m classes, that really played it to the max.  We got into a discussion about civilians using guns to thwart crime.  He stood up and [u]yelled[/u] at me in class that citizens should not be allowed to carry guns.  Everyone in class was startled, and his outburst made him look like an ass.  It's good to see that you don't share that elitist mentality.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
all right being active military, i have personally  taken mags fresh out of the plastic that have colt bodies and la belle floor plates just like the ones  you have. i see it all the time for what its worth.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Perhaps Labelle sold all of their components to Colt, and Colt is using them up?? I wish I could have been in on Labelle's yard sale, I only live about 10 miles away, and I work in a machine shop that has 400 ton presses. If I only could have bought that die, lol!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the kind words, politicalscience.  I try to call 'em like I see 'em.  Of course, that gets me in trouble more often than not.

centermass69-  MY MAN!!  That's what I was fishing for in my first post.  I suspected it was possible, but someone swapping floorplates seemed so much more plausible.  Thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much.

And STANMAN, if I had lived 10 miles from La Belle, I think I would have found a new best friend in that factory....somebody in shipping, I bet!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Can you say Flim Flam?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes sir, I can say it.  Can you elaborate on it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#17]
The plant where they made the was VERY small. I didn't even know it was there, lol. I really wish I could have gotten ahold of a stamping die, I could just make mags and weld them all night instead of doing the maintenance on the machines I am supposed to be doing, lol.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes sir, I can say it.  Can you elaborate on it?
View Quote

Just to say that like others have stated, someone has done some swapping around to scam some poor sucker into thinking he or she has bought true Colt mags and now you have ended up with some restricted mags but then again if you can use them for duty that's great. If your department has issued you a LEO AR consider yourself lucky, some of the Dept around here the boys have to buy their own.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I did not know if there was such a thing as a "true" Colt magazine as I thought all the mags were made by sub-contractors. Some of the military contractors sold off the machinery after they fullfilled there contract obligation to US Government. Some of these companies got SBA loans after being the winning low bidder to manufacure M-16 mags. I own some 20s that are Colt marked. I don't believe I own one 30 rounder that is colt marked.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top