Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 4:33:12 PM EDT
I have 2 questions with regard to legality.  In the first case, I'm *not* trying to pull a fast one as I believe it to be legal, but for the second one, I'm just not sure:

1) Can I replace a mag body (and keep and crush the old body) and replace the internals with new internals?  I think this is OK, but just checking.
2) Can I take a pre-ban 20rd mag and replace the body with a new curved 20rd replacement mag body?

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  No need to crush the old mag body.

2.  Why on earth would you want to put a curved 20 round magazine body on a perfectly reliable USGI 20 round straight body magazine?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
1) Hmmmm.  Do I need to throw out the old internals?  I thought if you had a body and internals the BATF considered it another mag.

2) Supposedly that's the new milspec, but no pre-bans were ever made.  I just wanted to replace one for show.

BoB
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1) Hmmmm.  Do I need to throw out the old internals?  I thought if you had a body and internals the BATF considered it another mag.

BoB
View Quote

I thought the same thing. Not the case?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one more question.

Can I buy a piece of sh*t mag (promag, etc.) for cheap and then replace the mag body?  I thought they weren't milspec, but are they close?  If they aren't, do the replacemnt rules specify it has to be a direct replacement or are they mostly concerned that you're trading preban for preban?

To bottom-line it:  Can I take a random AR-15 preban mag, crush it, and then build myself a new one using replacement parts?

Thanks a ton,
BoB
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one more question.

Can I buy a piece of sh*t mag (promag, etc.) for cheap and then replace the mag body?  I thought they weren't milspec, but are they close?  If they aren't, do the replacemnt rules specify it has to be a direct replacement or are they mostly concerned that you're trading preban for preban?

To bottom-line it:  Can I take a random AR-15 preban mag, crush it, and then build myself a new one using replacement parts?

Thanks a ton,
BoB
View Quote

I've heard people on the board suggest this course of action to others, and it sounds like it would be OK to me, since you're not creating a new high cap mag. Perhaps Troy or someone can enlighten us.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use any kind of mag (for the AR15), as long as it is a preban with over 10 rounds. Just make sure you crush the body beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will function.

Just keep the body, junk the POS internals and replace them with new ones.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a great way to get rid of the junk that's on the market and a good excuse to buy some of your orange followers and chrome silicon springs. The ones I got from you work great.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BoB
View Quote

I thought the same thing. Not the case?
View Quote

The BATF considers a collection of parts sufficient to create a magazine a magazine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have 2 questions with regard to legality.  In the first case, I'm *not* trying to pull a fast one as I believe it to be legal, but for the second one, I'm just not sure:

1) Can I replace a mag body (and keep and crush the old body) and replace the internals with new internals?  I think this is OK, but just checking.
2) Can I take a pre-ban 20rd mag and replace the body with a new curved 20rd replacement mag body?

Thanks,
BoB
View Quote

(O4) How does the law define the term "large capacity ammunition feeding
device?"
The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" is defined as a
magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after
September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or
converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. [b] Large capacity
ammunition feeding devices in knockdown (disassembled) condition consisting of
all parts needed to assemble a complete large capacity ammunition feeding
device are subject to regulation if the parts are segregated or packaged
together and held by a person as the parts for the assembly of a particular
device. [/b]
{18 U.S.C. 921(a)(31)}

As far as replacement of parts goes... It is my understanding that you may replace all of the parts in a mag, just not [i]all[/i] at the same time.  You could change the body, spring, and follower and keep the floor plate.  You could then change the floor plate out at a later time if you had to.

FB
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top