Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2003 3:41:28 PM EDT
What is the going price on new Colt 30rd preban mags?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
NIW USGI 30's are going for $25 and less over at the Equipment Exchange. If you're buying, there's nothing special about Colts except the floor plate. They aren't worth a cent more than any other USGI. If you're selling, there are a lot of people that do not understand the above and will pay a $5-10 premium for Colt floor plates.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I remember seeing these listed at $45-$50 on the Equipment Exchange in the past, and selling for those prices, too. I know there is no logic in it, but is there any reason behind the premiums paid for ALL Colt stuff?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know there is no logic in it, but is there any reason behind the premiums paid for ALL Colt stuff?
View Quote

Blind belief that any AR part that says colt is worth more.

Now, on some items, I'll buy colt over the import stuff (the carry handle scopes) but not the rest of it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If you think there is a market at $45 go ahead and list it/them. Posts in the Equipment Exchange are free. Worst case is you get to keep it/them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NIW USGI 30's are going for $25 and less over at the Equipment Exchange. If you're buying, there's nothing special about Colts except the floor plate. They aren't worth a cent more than any other USGI. If you're selling, there are a lot of people that do not understand the above and will pay a $5-10 premium for Colt floor plates.
View Quote

Point well taken, and you are 100% accurate in the spirit of your advice.  I would submit however, worth is specifically determined by what someone is willing to pay- no more and no less.  People buy anything because they either think the true value of an item is more than the value of the $ they are paying for it (either monetarily or in utility), OR they have the scratch to blow and know what they want- such as a seller with a great rep puts a mag up for sale which is harder to obtain than others.  It all depend upon if you are collecting or buying for practical use.  From a purely practical standpoint there is no reason to pay more for a Colt baseplated Okay or Universal mag.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's pretty easy to find new condition Colt 30 rounders for $40 each and very good (used) condition ones for $30.  That's what the "market" dictates.  In my mind, that's pretty indicative of their value... at least from a monetary perspective.

Me...  I think the pony is cool, and floorplates with ponies are worth a premium.  The only ARs I own are Colts, and I like to be consistent.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top