Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 3:45:59 PM EDT
I was at the local flea market this morning when I spied a table with AR mags piled up on it. I asked the guy how much he wanted for the mags. He told me $15 a piece, I hummed and Hawwwed around and he said that If I bought more than one he would sell me the mags for $10 a piece.

He then asked If I new anything about M16 mags, and I replied that I knew very Little. He went on to explain to me how his mags had the RARE green followers. Not really paying attention, I was trying to add up the profits I could make In my head.

I started looking through the mags, all were about 99% finish. I spied a date of 7/99 on the side of one, then another, and another....Hell, the whole pile was post ban mags.  I guess the guy could see me fuming as he asked what was wrong.

I then explained to him that I knew a little about dates and the like. He Immediately reached under the table and brought out the biggest duffel bag I've ever seen. Started rakeing the pile of mags into it.

He then zipped it up and threw it into the front seat of the truck. He was MAD, told me that he was an honest business man, and that it was an honest mistake. They made the dates hard to see on the sides of the mags.YADA YADA YAA.....
He told me that he knew it was illegal for civilian sales and that he usually only sold Post-ban mags to Cops or Soldiers.

HONEST mistake,.....I seriuosly doubt it. I should have known right off the bat, it was too good to be true.

I almost messed up Royal from a lack of attention. I wonder how many mags he sold to civilians today?

Man I hope the stupid ban goes away.

Chaos
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If they were the unmarked Center mags I don't see a problem. Obviously you do but I don't. Gotta mark them LEO only or else FAIR Game no matter what the law sez. Only BATFE cares about the little details.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't 7/99 a cage code and not the date code?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The first had 7/99. I guess I was unclear. all the mags had different post ban dates on them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If they were the unmarked Center mags I don't see a problem. Obviously you do but I don't. Gotta mark them LEO only or else FAIR Game no matter what the law sez. Only BATFE cares about the little details.

CRC
View Quote

They way I take it is any mag with the date after 9/94 is illegal. Maybe I am wrong, please clarify. I share the range with DEA agents on a regular basis. Using those mags would make me nervous to say the least.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

They way I take it is any mag with the date after 9/94 is illegal. Maybe I am wrong, please clarify. I share the range with DEA agents on a regular basis. Using those mags would make me nervous to say the least.
View Quote

Who the Hell knows [>:/]
from the ATF FAQ.......
[url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#o15[/url]
-----------------------------------------------
"O15) What markings must appear on large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994? [Back]

Persons who import large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured after September 13, 1994, or manufacture large capacity ammunition feeding devices must legibly identify each device imported or manufactured by serial number and other prescribed markings. The same serial number may be used for all devices manufactured or imported. Such devices must also be marked "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/ GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" or, in the case of devices manufactured for export, "FOR EXPORT ONLY." Domestically made devices must also be marked with the name, city and state of the manufacturer. Imported devices must be marked with the same of the manufacturer, country of origin, and name, city and state of the importer. Persons who manufacture or import metallic links for use in the assembly of belted ammunition are only required to place the prescribed identification marks on the containers used for packaging the links. [18 U. S. C. 923( i), 27 CFR 178.92( c)] "

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What was the deal with some mags bearing cage codes that looked like dates? How were they marked?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some folks have confused Center's CAGE code (which is 6P199) as being a date code.  How, I'll never know, because ever since mags have been stamped externally (Sanchez mags in '88, and most others since '91), the stamp has BOTH the CAGE code and date code (MM/YY) right next to each other.

-Troy
View Quote

The mags in question had the Fulll dates on them like...07/1999 if I remember correctly. Most were Parsons floorplates with a few colts mixed in. Not cage codes.

I think the laws are bullshit, but I will not knowingly beak them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I won't knowingly break the law either but the local police probably wouldn't know if you had those unmarked Center mags (ones w/o the LEO only marking) (assuming you got one of those mags unknowingly).

They would assume pre-ban unless they were pro-gun cops and then they might not care. Not many police know about the AWB.

Since you share the range with DEA, okay I see where you are coming from.

CRC
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top