Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2003 8:55:27 PM EDT
Just want these for range use.Have plenty of USGI,Thermolds 30rounders but no 40s ,Sterlings are hard to find.How do your PMI's perform?
Thanx
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used PMI Mini-14 mags, both 30's and 40's, for many years, going back to when they were under the Federal Ordnance label.  They didn't sell 30's for the AR15 because USGI's were available so cheaply.  But their 40's ran well.  Few people bought them way back, because you could buy two or more 30's for the price of one 40.

But, for late night social work, a pair of these on your rifle would give you plenty.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased a PMI 40 rounder and took it to the range for the first time just this past weekend. It's steel, so it is quite a bit heavier than the USGI 30 rounders. I was able to load a full 40 rounds in it. I had a couple FTF at first when it was full and then seemed to feed OK. My bolt seemed to catch now and again on the very edge of the mags feed lips. I think that if I file down the very top edge of the mag catch hole just a bit it will allow the mag to sit a little lower and be OK. It also fits in the mag well pretty tight. I think with a little use and wear it should be alright.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
They work OK. Mine don't have the lip to prevent them from being over inserted. If the bolt is open they can be pushed to far into the magwell.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Nah, they're terrible. Worse than junk. Send 'em to me and I'll dispose of them properly. [;)]

I love 'em -- been using them for years and I'm always looking for more.

They feed 100% in my Colt factory M16A1, including full-mag dumps. I've turned some other '16 owners on to them, and everyone raves about them.

The FedOrds and earlier PMIs with marked floorplates fit my Colt lower perfectly; some of the last-ditch unmarked-floorplate PMIs are a litle long front-to-rear, and needed a gentle squeeze in a vice to fit my magwell properly.

I have switched to green followers in them all; I had one parked and then molycoated, and it worked so well I'm gonna have the rest done, too.

Two PMI 40's in a Mag Cinch is the Poor Man's Betamag.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Lately, there has been a bunch of PMI 40 rounders for sale on Gunbroker and also Auction Arms.

I also installed a green follower in mine before I even tried it.

I'll try that little trick of giving it a "gentle squeeze" in a vise to see if that doesn't loosen it up a little in the mag well.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top