Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2003 7:05:17 AM EDT
Hi,

I have two brand new (bought them NIW) 30 round Sanchez USGI mags.  

One will NOT drop free from the magwell when I push the mag release button – the other one will drop free.  The non-drop free mag seems to rub along the back rib.  

I shoot in IPSC/USPSA 3 gun matches and I like all my mags to drop free for faster reloads.  Can/should I do anything to make the mag drop free – or should I just be happy that it functions correctly, leave it alone and just use other mags in matches?

Thanks for your thoughts.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say try to fix it if possible. It can't hurt to try IMO. Just carefully try compressing the mag in a vice a little at a time. Just keep test fitting it as you go. It isn't a difficult process and you may be suprised how well it can work.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks VA-Gunnut.

Have you done this before?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
ch5p,
I bought a bunch of the same mags back awhile ago and not to long ago finally got around to them all.

About half of them wouldn't drop free in my BM so I took a vise to them and a sheet metal hammer.

A couple will still need some tweak'n but they all work now.
Best,
Sec1Ops
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I have had to fix a dozen or so different mags. I have only come across two that were deformed so bad that I couldn't repair them. They just became "range use only" mags. If you don't have a vice you can use a small c-clamp. Just sqeeze the sides of the mag and watch while you are doing it. This is why I prefer a c-clamp because I can watch more of what is going on.

Give it a try and see what happens. Sometimes the best way to learn is to do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd caution that you check your rifle to make sure that it is not the problem.

Fastest check is to remove the upper from the lower, pull the trigger guard down into its "winter" position and make sure that the mag catch moves completely outside the mag well when the button is depressed. THEN, check your mags for drop free. Lots of things make mags stick, just had one BFI rifle in the shop that dropped about 50% of the owners mags. All his mags worked in my Colt guns and his PWA lowered rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.

Tweak - this is the only mag I have that won't drop free, so that leads me to believe it's the mag.

I'll give the vice/c clamp method a try.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone posted a similar question some time ago.  One of the responses was to lay the mag on a solid surface, place a piece of wood (part of a 2X4) across the top part of the mag and lightly tap the wood with a hammer.  I finally tried this last night with two mags I have that wouldn’t drop free from either my Bushy or EA lowers.  This procedure worked great.  Both mags now drop free.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool - thanks Bookhound
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#9]
No problem.  Just tap lightly with the hammer then check the mag.  I found only a few light taps each were all that was required.

Also, make sure you place the wood so that you aren't banging on the mag catch hole.  Remember, part of that hole is RAISED.  Don't want to mess with that.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top