Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2003 7:03:04 PM EDT
I'm interested in getting some 20rd magazines for target shooting but I'm afraid I don't know enough about what's legal and what's not.  
I've seen some 20rd magazines that the seller said were originally blocked 5rd magazines.
Is it legal for someone to take a blocked magazine and remove the block if the magazine was manufactured before 1994?
What is the difference between the straight bodied 20rd mags and the curved 20rd mags?  Other than one is curved and one isn't.
And are there brands that are more preferable, as far as USGI mags go?
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
DCS
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The MAG FAQ will answer most of your questions...read it, learn it, embrace it!

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=17&id=26[/url]

As for the mag block, it is legal to remove it as long as you don't live in a State that restricts Mag capacity.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI is the way to go. IIRC, the 20 round USGI were no longer manufactured after something like 1971, so no worries whatsoever with whether they are preban or not.

Manufacturer of USGI stuff doesn't matter, except that you don't want 30 rounders by Cooper (less than 6 spotwelds). Some will pay more for Colt mags, but Colt didn't make them, so unless you're a collector, there's no point.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt still sold (and still sells) 20 rounders after the early 1970's. They are the same as USGI. There are post-ban Colt 20 rounders but all USGI 20 rounders are pre-ban.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys for all the information.  It was very helpful and I appreciate how quickly you responded.
DCS
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top