Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 8:37:55 PM EDT
I bought a number of the british sa80 mags and was looking for some way to refinish them. I came across the brownells teflon/moly gun coating in black. I cleaned them as per the instructions and attempted to bake them in a toaster oven. after baking them on the proper setting and allowing them to cool, reassembled and test fit them in my ar. I was shocked to find that the finish flaked off in a few places.

Anyone use this stuff before? I am rebaking them right now. I think that may have been the problem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you read the post tacked at the top of this forum about refinishing mags yet?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but only the first two pages were available. So I couldn't find any info on this type of coating. I rebaked them and it bubbled in a few spots and seems to have cured properly. I think they will work okay.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have personally tried the Brownell's Teflon/Moly to refinish mags in the past as well as some firearms parts.

As far as the mags go, the product looked very good when finished. The only major problem with it was that it is thicker then the mil-spec finish. Any high spots would have the finish rubbed off much quicker then expected. I have found that the Teflon/Moly works best when applied to sandblasted materials. I wouldn't sandblast mags so it kind of works against using this product IMO.

The next batch you should give the Perma Silk a try, I think you will be quite pleased with it.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top