Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2003 7:06:58 AM EDT
Anyone know a good source where you don't pay an arm and a leg for high capacity Ruger Mini 14 mags? --RR
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem with Mini 14 mags are finding ones that work...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's a pain in the ass to find good ones. I bought a 30 John Masen (mason?) from gunaccessories.com. My first one worked perfectly. I ordered another and in the second one the follower would get caught on the feed lips so it would not hold bolt open or really feed at all. Gunaccessories allowed me to exchange this second mag for a third which I now have and it works perfectly like my first one.

66.6%

This is all the experience I have with mini mags.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you Reckon Ruger will have the god damned common decency to produce them for the public after the sunset?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 20 and two 30s that run 100% of unknown manufacture.  Then I have 4 USA mags that fairly reliable and one that is worthless that will spit rounds out of the top of the rifle when it gets to the last few shots...

When buying Mini-14 mags I'd suggest buying a name brand mags and one at a time to see how well they work.  Better to eat shipping a time or two than order a bunch of lousy mags.  Avoid USA mags...

I've got a ranch rifle that doesn't group worth a damn and the rear sight flip up sight is difficult to adjust.  I replaced the front sight post with a flash hider that has a circle around the sight post.  This makes the front sight a lot nicer, but it would be nice to find something better than the rear flip up pos...  

Would an M1 carbine sight or something similar work as a replacement for the rear flip up sight?

Would adding a decent synthetic stock help the accuracy of the rifle any?  

Sorry to hijack the thread and thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't Billy Boy...  how should I say...

[b]DEAD?[/b]

Maybe there's a pro gun guy at the helm.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Remember, it was Bill Ruger who suggested the mag capacity ban in the first place.  
View Quote

Another urban myth needlessly perpetuated.  Can you provide a source for that?

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there a source from a reliable news outlet that you can cite?  I would love to get to the bottom of this because I've never heard this question settled.

The google search you recommended failed to turn up any such source.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I asked my Dad what he wants for father's day and he says "some hi cap mags for my mini 14". Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was hoping Ruger had made some prebans that might be available somewhere. --RR

Edited to add.... also looking for hi cap mags for S&W 9mm pistol. I believe it's a 14 round double stack.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a SS mini for sale(not the ranch rifle!) and it shoots great. Also have two USA 30 rd mags (argghh)for it that have functioned without a problem. I've had no FTF or hold back problems with these but haveonly put about 200-250 rounds thru the rifle and mags. These are also for sale on the equip exchange but go with the rifle. I've had good luck with my mags and only got them after I was assured I could return them if I had any problems. I would certainly not get USA mags for an AR.

Ocassionally, orig Ruger 30 rd or thermolds pop up but they are rare and expensive. Gotta keep your eye out, that's for sure. Expect to pay over $70 per mag. [b]watch the equipment exchange[/b]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have found that Precision Mag Industries (PMI) makes reliable Mini-14 30 rnd mags.  The last time I bought some Mini mags was from Gun Parts Corp.  I did a quick search and they don't appear to sell them anymore.  You could try looking for PMI (this is not Pro-Mag Industries--I don't know what their mags are like).  I feel for you.  Finding good Mini-14 mags can be a Herculean task.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#14]
The PMI's work the best, I have found them on Ebay. Also you can check out  www.deltaforce.com
I believe they still have the Mini 14 PMI 30 and 40 rounders on there or you can call them.
USA's and Western's DO NOT hold the bolt open and I have had lots of feed problems with them  but then again you get what you pay for
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
You may occasionally find a PMI mags in packaging marked Federal Ordnance.  These are the same mags, similar packaging, and the same part numbers as PMI.  The Fed Ord mags had blank floorplates.  Most of the PMI's have blank floorplates, but some have the PMI markings.

These mags can be identified by the mag catch tab on the back side.  The PMI/Fed Ord mags have a welded-on rectangular tab.  The USA's have a simple roll in the metal and blank floorplates.  Ruger mags have Ruger marked floorplates.  BUT, there have been some USA mags floating around with Ruger stamped floorplates.  Beware.

I used the 30 rnd and 40 rnd Fed Ord mags for some years, and later, the PMI mags.  They all worked well.  Also had a few 20 rnd Rugers, which I sold, but also worked well.  I have a few USA's, they work well, but the metal is thinner, and they seem flimsier.  I don't know how they would hold up under strenuous use.

I did run into some Mini-14 mags marked Mitchell Arms.  These had a much sharper curve than Ruger or PMI mags, and just would not function.  The geometry of the mag was all wrong.

Last good source I had for the PMI mags was www.deltaforce.com
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#16]
See if you can locate some 30rd Thermold Mini14 mags, they were very reliable in my Mini14 GB and price should be close to the Federal Ordinance/PMI mags.  Again check the Equipment exchange for Ruger factory 20rd mags that sometimes show up in a not cheap but "reasonable" price range of $60 to $75.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've got a ranch rifle that doesn't group worth a damn and the rear sight flip up sight is difficult to adjust.  I replaced the front sight post with a flash hider that has a circle around the sight post.  This makes the front sight a lot nicer, but it would be nice to find something better than the rear flip up pos...
View Quote
Williams Sights make a nice peep  with replacable inserts. It will group on the palm of your hand at best.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I have posted this before, but repeated tests by me, have shown that other than the crappy rear sights, the main cause of the inaccuracy of the Mini-14 is the loose wood stock fit.  Replacing the stock with a tight fitting synthetic stock will cut your group size in half, much like bedding a M1A or M1 Garand.  

I like the Choate Pistol Grip stock (the non-folder) myself, but have also gotten tighter groups with the Butler Creek folder.

Since you have a Ranch Rifle, I will tell you, with my two Ranch Rifles, both of which have the Choate Pistol Grip stock, with scopes, using either Remington UMC 55 gr fmj or Federal American Eagle 55 gr fmj, I can easily get 1.5" groups off the bench.  That is good enough for the intended usage of this rifle, as a light weight 0-200 yd carbine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't do the pistol grip unless the ban goes away, because I've got an "evil" flash hider/front sight combo.  I may well try a decent pistol grip stock on there when/if the stupid ban goes.  The rear sight is my main problem aside from the stock.  

I was wondering if it can be be replaced with something along the lines of M1 carbine rear sight or something similar.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Choate has a synthetic conventional stock, too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have posted this before, but repeated tests by me, have shown that other than the crappy rear sights, the main cause of the inaccuracy of the Mini-14 is the loose wood stock fit.  Replacing the stock with a tight fitting synthetic stock will cut your group size in half, much like bedding a M1A or M1 Garand.  

I like the Choate Pistol Grip stock (the non-folder) myself, but have also gotten tighter groups with the Butler Creek folder.

Since you have a Ranch Rifle, I will tell you, with my two Ranch Rifles, both of which have the Choate Pistol Grip stock, with scopes, using either Remington UMC 55 gr fmj or Federal American Eagle 55 gr fmj, I can easily get 1.5" groups off the bench.  That is good enough for the intended usage of this rifle, as a light weight 0-200 yd carbine.
View Quote

Can you bed the stock to Mini-14, I really like the wood stock. It looks nicer than the syntehtic stock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Also I heard that some of the 10 rounders made by Pro-mag work pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm actually looking for 20 rounders. I found these on the Bushmaster site but $15 seems to good to be true. Am I wrong? --RR
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/10-22/mg-0093.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, you can bed the stock, but the wood is not stable, changes with temp and humidity.  The synthetic is superior.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The only RELIABLE Mini-14 full-capacity mags I've found are factory Ruger and Thermold.  I have six of each and I've never had a feed problem.

A good source for all things Ruger is PerfectUnion.com.

Also watch the EE and eBay.  Expect to pay $75.00 plus.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was wondering if it can be be replaced with something along the lines of M1 carbine rear sight or something similar.
View Quote

I got a great Williams sight from Brownells for mine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#27]
You might want to check out CDNN. You might have to tweak them but after that all of mine worked perfect. If you want factory expect to pay 75 and up. I think I payed 12.99 awhile back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I got a great Williams sight from Brownells for mine.
View Quote

Which sight did you order from Brownells?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#29]
i had a few of the Ram Line combo mags.

THey worked great!

They were a bit tight in my SP1, but they worked. Worked without a hitch in the mini. Only downside is their plastic fragility. Other than that, they are great mags!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Fill a Ramline "Combo Mag" with 30 rounds, or even download to 25 or so.  Now, drop it on a carpeted floor from a distance of two feet.  Heck, just shake it.  What happens?  I'll tell you what happens, the ammo will spray all over the room.  THAT is not good in an emergency!

The plastic flexes and the feedlips are not sufficient to hold the ammo in.

This is why I cannot recommend the Ramlines for use in either the AR15 or Mini-14.  It has nothing to do with their function in the rifle.  It has to do with their function OUTSIDE of the rifle, which is to hold them ammo in preperation for quick use by the rifle.

The Thermolds are better in this respect.  How many of you have dropped a fully loaded USGI mag?  Pick it up, make sure there is not dirt in the top, slap it in and shoot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#31]
What worked in my blued Ruger Mini14 GB folder which I sold last year.  Ruger factory 20 and 30 rd mags, Thermold 30rd mags, Federal Ordinance/PMI 20 and 30rd mags and little known McCoy Mobile 30rd mags which were in my opinion the best of my aftermarket mags, they fit and functioned equal to my Ruger factory mags.  I put the McCoy Mobile mags on the Equipment Board a couple times but had no takers, doubt many people have heard of them and I have seen only a few at gun shows.  These are keepers if you have a Mini14 and they are the last of my Mini14 mags.  Check Equipment board.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#32]
MAybe you had shitty mags.

I always kept a ramline combo loaded a full 30, jsut in case. Work in the AR or the Mini.

Dropped it plenty of times. Never a problem. I cna see when they get older and work more, yes. But in the condition i had them ,never had a probelm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Nope, I had 6 of the Ramline Combo Mags at one time which I bought new.  They would puke ammo even when new.  Age made no difference.  All six of them.  But they fed well.  They did not reliably actuate the bolt catch in either the Mini-14 or the AR15, I forget which.  But they are long gone by about 10 years.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top