Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:37:56 PM EDT
Anybody every tried nickel or chrome plating their mags.  My beretta has those stainless mags and they look really nice.  In another topic I asked if the RRA mags were plated and I was informed that they are mil-spec.  I thought it would look cool to nickel or chrome plate the mags.  They might look pretty cool if polished out of a rough finish but not necessarily miror finished.  They might even reduce friction and keep the finish longer.  Any ideas/thoughts welcomed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't make any sense to me unless you want BLING BLING.  Think about it what purpose would it serve  to have a offensive and or defensive,or even a hunting weapon reflect light.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt made some chrome or nickel plated mags for the sp-1 at one time. I've never seen any but I bet they look cool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if you have a Coltguard rifle, what's the point in refinishing the mags?
But, I do have a Coltguard rifle. In fact, it's the third one I've owned! Kept buying/selling until I got a real clean one since the EN finish scuffs so easily. Put a set of walnut furniture on it and it looks real nice in a strange sort of way. But though I've had a few of the Coltguard ARs, I've yet to see any mags finished the same way. I've heard of them, but then I've heard of Bigfoot, too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The reason why I want to nickel/chrome plate the mag is because I have a SS Bull barrel and a stainless bipod, and the adjustable buttplate has stainless fittings.  If I could finisht the mag in chrome or nickel without polishing it to a mirror finish (I think that looks bad on a gun) then I think it would have just enough contrast between flat black and shiny metal.  Just my opinion.  This is a Varmint rifle with a 24" barrel so it won't be seeing combat use or anything that reflecting light would come into play but I would keep atleast one matte black mag as a reserve.  Just my thoughts, sounds like some like the idea and others hate it so I might try chroming one.  With a good quality chrome, it shouldn't scuff for a while; why else do they chrome barrels- for increased wear time.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Instead of chroming the mag, have you considered polishing the aluminum mag body.  Polished aluminum looks like chrome.  The hard part would be how to remove the yellow-color anodizing.  Polishing the mag seems more durable and more easily done than chroming.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Instead of plating, strip off the old finish, polish, then clear anodize.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a batch of the English steel USGI mags from ammoman not long ago, and I have been thinking of stripping a few of those and sending them to Robar for their excellent NP3 finish - matte silver appearance & more corrosion-resistant than stainless steel!  I have a couple of Beretta 92s with that finish & have been very impressed with their look & durability & the self-lubricating nature of the finish.  It's not cheap, but it might be worth it for a brace of "stand up to (almost) anything" magazines.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top