Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 12:26:29 PM EDT
Hello-

How do you keep track of rounds remaining with AR magazines? Is there some kind of technique (other than the obvious of trying to keep a count of rounds fired)? Are there any AR magazines that have "peep holes" drilled in the back (or side) to allow a quick peek of the number of rounds left?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there some kind of technique (other than the obvious of trying to keep a count of rounds fired)?
View Quote

I just count in my head.  At first, it's a pain in the butt, and you'll lose count a lot.  After a while, though, it just becomes second nature.  I really focus on this at the range, whether it's in a 6-shot revolver, 15-shot semi-auto, or my AR.  It's a [b]very[/b] important habit to develop if you are ever forced to use a weapon for something more serious than target shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there some kind of technique (other than the obvious of trying to keep a count of rounds fired)?
View Quote

I just count in my head.  At first, it's a pain in the butt, and you'll lose count a lot.  After a while, though, it just becomes second nature.  I really focus on this at the range, whether it's in a 6-shot revolver, 15-shot semi-auto, or my AR.  It's a [b]very[/b] important habit to develop if you are ever forced to use a weapon for something more serious than target shooting.
View Quote

Or you could just carry a whole mess of magazines and do tactical reloads when ever there is a lull in the action. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Some guys will load every 5th or 10th as a tracer. Trouble is, you may NOT be the only one who can count!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
When on active duty every 5th round was a tracer and last 3 were tracers. Problem with this is that it not only tells you when you are empty but also who you are shooting at. Not a problem when fighting with a squad or larger but if you are alone........
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow - thanks for all of the advice. Sorry if it sounded like a "dumb" question, but I wanted to hear from some pros.

Do any of you know why there seems to be no magazines that have small "peep holes" (like on my HK USP magazines)?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a for sure reasong, but a USP mag (I own a few of them), the mag is inside the grip, a great protection from dirt and stuff, also allows to protect it from impact.  Putting holes on an exposed mag could weaken it.  Correct me if I'm way off base here.

John
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#9]
What if you loaded the last couple of rounds with a heavier weight bullet?  You should be able to feel the difference - no experience with this, but it sounds as if it will work w/out giving away any info to who or whatever is on the recieving end.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
[mallninja] I just feel for the for the weight differance; I have gotten so good at it that I can not only tell you exactly how many rounds are in a rifle, but whether it is using M193 or M855 [/mallninja]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally posted by Vinnie.

Or you could just carry a whole mess of magazines and do tactical reloads when ever there is a lull in the action. [:D]
View Quote

Quoted:

"Seriously, if you have time to worry about how many rounds you have left in your mag, you have time to COUNT your shots.  If you don't, then it isn't an issue.  Practice your mag changes, and practice "tactical mag changes", where you use the oppertunity take cover in the middle of a drill and quickly change mags, even though you haven't ran your current mag dry yet."

Agreed Gentlemen.
I'm not an expert, I'd never pretend to be, but,
I've been trained and I'm certain the bulk of professional military and LE firearms training schools teach not to rely on the capacity of a single magazine.  
They do not, in my experience, teach round counts as a way of being certain not to run out during an armed confrontation.
What is stressed is the importance of remembering and practicing your tactical re-loads, WITHOUT looking at your given weapon.  Round counts should be kept in mind, and that will come w/ training, it becomes sub-concious.
However, feeling for different loads, will become increasingly difficult, under stress, w/ differing levels of eq./gear on, and from differnet firing positions.
Counting, or trying, during an in close fight, time/stress/distance phenomenon, would also be extremely difficult (next to impossible).

ed. to add quotes where appropriate, cause I'm a computer idiot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I really am surprised no one has invented a device which counts bullets left in the magazine.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When on active duty every 5th round was a tracer and last 3 were tracers. Problem with this is that it not only tells you when you are empty but also who you are shooting at. Not a problem when fighting with a squad or larger but if you are alone........
View Quote

That's why you load a tracer every 5th round then the 23rd, 24th, and 25th so you know you've got 5 more to nail the stupid bastards who think you're empty.[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The bolt feels differently when it locks back versus cycling a round into the chamber.  I notice it everytime.  You dont have that forward push when it chambers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The bolt feels differently when it locks back versus cycling a round into the chamber.  I notice it everytime.  You dont have that forward push when it chambers.
View Quote

Same here...  It sounds and feels different on that last shot when it locks back.  I can always tell when I've fired my last shot with an AR, instead of "click" as pull the trigger on the AK...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#17]
In the early 70s we were trained to count the rounds, and we were tested on it.  If your count was accurate, you were rewarded by not having to do push-ups or some other undesired behavioral modification activity.

And I absolutely agree with Lumpy, anyone can hear/feel when the AR/M16 goes dry.

If you pay close attention, you can do the same with the AK -- it also sounds different when the carrier goes forward on an empty chamber.  You just have to listen/feel for the difference.

Noah
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top