Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2003 6:38:26 AM EDT
I just finished my J&T kit last night, built on a RRA lower...I was doing some function checks with the few mags that I have, and the one Orlite I have will not lock the bolt open.  Otherwise, it locks into the magwell just fine.  (My other USGI mags function fine in this regard.)

Is this a known problem?  (Couldn't find anything with "Search")  

I was thinking either trim a bit from the over-insertion tab to try to bring the mag up higher, or build-up the back of the follower with JB weld.

Any suggestions?  (Other than buy USGI mags hanks!
--Otter
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Never had a problem w/ any of the 8 Orlites I have had (down to three now, 'cause I just swapped 5 of them off).  Are you sure it's the follower not coming up high enough? It could also be the follower tab not being long enough. It could also bea slightly short follower, combined w/a shorter than normal tab on the hold open piece. Finally, it could be a weaker than normal follower spring, combined with a stronger than normal spring on the hold open catch.

I have encountered examples of all the above in over 25 years of fooling w/ARs.  Moral of the story, make absolutely sure you know what's causing the problem before you start a corrective process.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
shamayim,

Thanks for the tips...My Orlite was purchased through Midway, and was advertised as reconditioned mags with new springs.  I suppose the "new" springs could be weak to start with (or may not even be new).

My cursory inspection last night appeared to show that the follower tab wasn't contacting the bolt catch (too low) but it certainly bears looking at again (for being too short).  

So since you've had experience with all of the problems you listed below, what were your corrective measures?  

Spring change is obvious if it's a weak spring...

Perhaps bolt catch & spring change in hopes of a more "nominal" part...although everything works fine with my other 3 mags (small sample size though)

Follower change is obvious for a USGI mag...but what about for the Orlite?  I'm under the impression that the followers do not interchange.

--Otter
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top