Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 4:19:52 AM EDT
Anyone got any experience of these mags? These 30 round mags fit the AR15 but I'm sure I've heard people say they are no good...?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember right, it's been awhile, the old RG mags are the ones with the button on the bottom used to disassemble the mag.  

I suppose they'd be okay at the range, but I think the Brits complained about unplanned disassembly in the field.

That's the most I can recall with no caffeine. :-)

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had any experience with old Radway magazines, but I do have some with a new one.  That is, if you mean the phosphate gray (grey, if you like, in deference to the Limeys like me Mum) steel 30-rd ones.

When I first picked up one of these mags, I was impressed with the workmanship.  Of all the AR-15/M-16 type mags I've had, including many USGI, Colt -- and the nastiest of all, USA -- this magazine has the most precise lines and appearance.  The quality control must have been pretty darn good.

Oh, I almost forgot why I bothered to comment: There isn't a "button," which I assume might have been on the floorplate to facilitate removal.  There's a 3/16" hole in the floorplate about ½" from the rear of the mag, but no button.  

And this mag is, as I noted initially in my post, steel.  If you ever had any worry about "drop-free," the sheer weight (empty) of this mag will overcome any concern.  Not that I've ever had any concern in my AR's, but you know the feeling.

So far, they've functioned flawlessly, albeit with a variety of 62gr FMJ fired semi-quickly down by the river.  HP and SP have yet to be tested.

One regret: I should have bought all 10 of them that were on the shelf.

Lastly, I'd like to have 20-rd versions if they existed, but I'm not complaining.  I still have my Universal/Simmonds 20-rd Air Force mags I bought a couple decades ago.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those. It has been working perfectly with my SAR-80 for some time. It´s made from aluminium and it is a little bit longer than USGI mags. Here are some pics:
[img]http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/jonez/RG-mag2.jpg[/img] [img]http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/jonez/RG-mag3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/jonez/RG2.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 10 of the ones that Rguns is selling for $14 apiece with $8 shipping.  They run flawlessly...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in the states do we get the ones pictured above?  Can you get them NIW or just "loose" bulk packed?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had reports that RG mags are 'no good in the AR' but I have no first-hand evidence of any problems and whenever I see one on the range they function flawlessly. Those that say they are no good got the info from a friend or something. Perhaps the problem with the rifles is tarring the mags with the same brush.

BTW the new 'A2' mags by H&K are excellent, had a play with them at last year's Skill-At-Arms meeting at Bisley. Made from steel they weigh as much as a full 20-round mag when empty but are a solid piece of kit that should last for ever and put up with much abuse. Just waiting to get my hands on a box of them.....[<]:)]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top