Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2003 6:29:14 PM EDT
I have a colt 7.62x39 upper with barrel marked c mp 7.62x39 1/12 H Bar. what do I need to do to convert this over to .223? I believe it is pre ban. any help is appreciated
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think you can rechamber them easily. Its probably cheaper just to buy a new upper. If you have a PRE-BAN gun you can put a preban upper on it. But it (your original gun) must have been assembled into a COMPLETE gun BEFORE the ban. If it was just buy a new 5.56 pre ban upper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
A new barrel and a new bolt will be required....
You will need a barrel wrench and a receiver block and insert to clamp the receiver down. If you don't you may warp the receiver....

The upper is worth $450 to $500 (maybe more depending on condition)with the BC and you would be able to move it fairly easy on AR15.com or the strumgewehr board. Then you could get a factory assembled upper for that price and not fork out the cash for the tools...

Good luck..

[url][email protected][/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd sell the 7.62 x 39 upper and use the money to buy a new 5.56 upper.

As pickupdan said, you can get a nice new factory upper for that price and not have to mess around with buying tools and possibly buggering up the assembly.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top