Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2003 12:57:17 PM EDT
I just today got my First Thermold Magazine and when putting it in the gun with the Bolt Closed and magazine empty you have to push it quite hard to get it to latch?
Is this the case with all Thermold's ?
The USGI Mags latch in and out perfect.
Let me know what you think about the Thermold?
Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you pull the charging handle back with the thermold inserted? If you try and it binds halfway through the pull, you might need to lightly file the sides of little area on the top back of the mag where the bolt catch rests. If you compare this area on a thermold with the same area on a USGI, you'll find that there is some flashing on the thermold which makes this area too small. If you file/sand the flashing away, I think it'll fix your problem.

I hope this helps. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Are all Thermolds like this or is this one defective?
Yes, The lips seem too high on the Mag?
Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I find that both Orlites and Thermolds have to have the stop shoulder on the side of the mag relieved somewhat, to fully lock on my Rock River lower, with some of them also hanging up on the Bushie lower.  None of them have ever been a problem on the Colt.  Bushie and  Rock River don't chamfer the bottom of their mag wells as deeply as Colt, and that's a problem sometimes. The over full top end mentioned above can also be a problem with non Colt lowers. A little time with a small file can solve the problem tho [:D]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top