Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 7:16:47 AM EDT
Do you like the Orange or Green Followers the best?
I put the Orange ones in and was thinking about changing for the Green? I don't know why.
What Ya Think ??
Thanks..
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, since they're functionally identical its basically just a question of aesthetics.

I have decided to use orange followers for "range use only" mags (i.e., those that have warn or cracked feedlips or that otherwise have proven less dependable).

Then I used green followers for my "SHTF" mags.

That's just me.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the purpose of orange followers?  The green ones stick out like sore thumbs, orange would really stick out.  But hey, I'm about to switch to black socks because white ones stick out too much.

TS
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you tell the color difference in a loaded mag?  or are you one of those puir beknighted souls that doesn't keep all his mags loaded all the time?

that and it keeps the green follower guys from borrowing YOUR mags at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
All my mags have green ones.  Im in no hurry to buy orange.  I dont see any practical difference.  Somehow to me orange has a cheesy factor, even though they are of the same quality.  To each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
orange makes it a bit easier to determine my emptys from others, even though my initials and numbers and stuck on mine.

Orange is cool to me because it's the color of the University of Tennessee - my alma mater.

As far as tactically, it makes no difference; when it comes down to it, when your opponent sees the follower color, they already know you're shooting...

I'm happy that Cody started making them.  I'd like to see some yellow ones and red ones too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Lavender and chartreuse, too!

Noah
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the alloy ones on all my 20 rounders (they work much better when using a bipod or off of a bench).

But out of those two I think I'd go with orange.  Easier for a rangeofficer to see empty/clear.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you tell the color difference in a loaded mag?  or are you one of those puir beknighted souls that doesn't keep all his mags loaded all the time?

that and it keeps the green follower guys from borrowing YOUR mags at the end of the day.
View Quote

I didn't mean the orange stuck out in a tactical sense.  I'm a basic black, green, tan and sometimes brown color dressing man.  I like the rest of my stuff that way too.

TS
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both, orange, green, and the original black followers. I refurbed my "good" GI 30 rd mags with new springs and followers (orange and green) and immediately could tell the difference when shooting. My "junk" mags that I use exclusively for the range have the original black followers. That way, if I need to grab mags in a hurry, a quick glance will tell which ones I am getting, SHTF or range junkers.

By the way, I refurbed my junk mags with a fresh coat of PAINT--Rustoleum texture coat satin black. Looks good and gives a definite tactile difference between the SHTF and range mags.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
By the way, I refurbed my junk mags with a fresh coat of PAINT--Rustoleum texture coat satin black. Looks good and gives a definite tactile difference between the SHTF and range mags.
View Quote

I've been wondering why more people don't just use dark gray or flat lack spray paint to refurb their mags, unless it's for return on investment for possible future sale.

TS
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually I meant can you tell the difference in a loaded mag up close.  Say you've got some with orange for range work and some with green for SHTF in your safe or a pouch. All loaded, can you see the follower?  Not in a tactical sense from any distance, but in a pick up the right one sense.  but I guess if your concerned enough to keep a bunch of pre-loaded mags, you store them segregated by purpose.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I rebuilt 10 "range" mags a couple of weeks ago using orange followers and silicon springs that I purchased from Cody.  I tested each one of them using some old ammo I had for at least 10 years, not one jam or malfunction.
Plus, it was easy to see which mags I tested and which ones I didn't because of the powder on them.  When I got them home they cleaned up good as new.
I liked the orange and wouldn't hesitate to use them in any situation.  From what I understand they are identical to the green in everyway except for the color so why wouldn't they be suited for a SHTF situation?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy--have you tried any of the orange followers??  i had purchased 20 of the greens and replaced the black followers in my 30 rd mags---i noticed that they seemed to be tight and still did some tilt--to make a long story short--i just recieved my first 12 pcs of the orange followers---as i started to switch the orange for the green, i noticed that the orange fit alot better in all my mags, including my british mags.  On closer examination i noticed that many of the dimensions are smaller on the orange units--if you have any, take a look at them compared to the greens--also as i cycled the mags with the orange units i did not have any "tilts" like i had with the greens--let me know what you think-----JIMBO
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been wondering why more people don't just use dark gray or flat lack spray paint to refurb their mags, unless it's for return on investment for possible future sale.

TS
View Quote

Tried that years ago before Perm-Slik was widely availible. Two light coats of Rustoleum was enought to keep them from inserting easily or dropping free any more.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Mags dedicated to .458SOCOM uppers lust for orange followers & CS springs from Cody.

Dave S
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top