Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 5:09:33 AM EDT
I know this answer is somewhere already on this sight, but I cant find it.
Have a guy in Hawaii wanting to but some
Hi caps I have.
Seems I remember Hawaii not a state I want to ship to.
Is this Correct?
          Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
HI, CA, MA (unless they have the proper permit), and NJ.  Those are the ones I usually see listed on auctions and such.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Here we go again.

For Mass...

If you are a resident of MA, a MA State Licensed Dealer or an FFL Dealer, you can only sell to a resident who has a proper license.

If you are none of the above, there is no law prohibiting the sale to a MA resident. State Laws have no impact and carry no weight on people from other states. Only the Feds have that authority.

(FFL's fall under this as part of the requirements to have an FFL is that you must follow State Laws in addition to Fed Law).

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here we go again.

For Mass...

If you are a resident of MA, a MA State Licensed Dealer or an FFL Dealer, you can only sell to a resident who has a proper license.

If you are none of the above, there is no law prohibiting the sale to a MA resident. State Laws have no impact and carry no weight on people from other states. Only the Feds have that authority.

(FFL's fall under this as part of the requirements to have an FFL is that you must follow State Laws in addition to Fed Law).

View Quote

Thanks for clarifying that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I get all kinds of crap trying to buy ar mags.
People telling me they can not shipp to mass.
I tell them I will buy from someone else but it is fustrating.

OH Yeah

MA SUCKS...............
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I am wrong (and I am doing this off the top of my head), but the only mag restriction Hawaii has is on Handgun mags.

According to the NRA-ILA web site,

The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds for pistols is prohibited.

Nothing on long arms.

Here is the site addy:

[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=HI[/url]

Of course you didn't say what type of mag you are selling.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Rifle mags of greater than 5 rounds are no-no's in New York City.  Pistol mags up to 17 rounds are OK.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
To clarify, the mags I'm selling are HK 93 mags.
I e-mailed the buyer and his response was simalar to what kluz347 said.
His response is as follows

"Hawaii is one place where it gets a little confusing.  Hi cap magazines
greater than 10 rounds are not allowable for pistols or rifles if they also
can fit in a pistol (ie HK94 and SP89).  As the HK91 and 93 never had a
pistol form,  they are okay.  Please check the NRA state laws website for
reference.  If you still feel uncomfortable,  please let me know so I don't
send the check.  Thanks."

When I check the NRA site that Klutz347 refers to it does specify handguns, and assult pistols.

From the site   http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?                      FormMode=Detail&R=HI
 "The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds for pistols is prohibited."

So from this I gather it "ok" to send long gun mags to Hawaii.?

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rifle mags of greater than 5 rounds are no-no's in New York City.  Pistol mags up to 17 rounds are OK.
View Quote

Really? Thank god I live upstate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I get all kinds of crap trying to buy ar mags.
People telling me they can not shipp to mass.
I tell them I will buy from someone else but it is fustrating.

OH Yeah

MA SUCKS...............
View Quote

It Does...but I've never had problems buying mags. I usually buy in the EE forum, but have gotten good buys from Ebay, Auctionarms and Gunbroker too. I usually stay away from big sellers that list 5-8 states. They can't be bothered trying to figure out the laws, or they have copied the restirctions that others have put in their ads and won't listen ("Everyone else says they won't ship, why should I listen to you?").

The FFL dealers really don't have a choice, they have to follow the state law as a requirement to  have an FFL.

Hell, if all else fails, take a drive some Saturday and hit the shops or gun shows in RI, NH, VT or ME and pick them up yourself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't it up to the buyer to make sure he complies with local laws ? I don't see how a seller living in another state can be charged with a state crime if he has never even entered the state.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]
It is up to the buyer as long as the seller has a check your local law saying or some disclaimer like that.
I belive but I am not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]
NJ has a 15 round limit, but temporarily blocked mags are OK.  Just put a piece of wood inside the spring that limits capacity to 15 or less and Bingo!  Jersey legal mag.  Empty brass counts too, put 5 empties in a 20 round mag and Poof!  Jersey legal mag.  For now.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top