Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 9:20:39 PM EDT
I'll ask this question, tell me what you think.
I've got the first 4 USGI mags that I ever bought for my AR.  This was before I knew what to look for in magazines.  The seller had refinished them in this black finish.  It's almost like a plastic finish.  I just can't describe it.  Any suggestions on what might remove the finish so I can do the Perma Silk deal?  I figured what the hell, this would be a nice project to take on.  Rehab them with new springs and followers, 'cause the seller had stuck these mangled floor plates on them and the black followers.  What do you think, is it worth my time?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Strip the bodies and soak them in a bowl of acetone. That should remove just about any type of paint or other spray on finish.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is Teflon on them then don't strip them.
Can you post pictures of the Mags?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I might be able to.  I would have to borrow a digital cam.  I was wondering the same thing, if perhaps the finish was teflon.  I don't think it is.  The inside of the mags are nasty.  The look absolutely horrible and the coating is not on the inside.  Upon further inspection, two have cracked feed lips.  I took a knife and scraped a long 'shaving' of the finish off today.  The shaving was 'stretchy' like a peice of rubber.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Teflon
The last Mag that was coated Teflon I checked did the exact same thing.
I have 41 Teflon Coated Mags and just ordered 12 More for my DPMS AR'S.
I also just sent 6 Labelle's back to DPMS to have them coated with Teflon again and when I stripped some of the coating it displayed the same characteristic just like your Mag.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top