Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 12:23:02 PM EDT
First off:  I have 6 early Orlites purchased in an unused condition.  These are the ones with the dust rib that was 1/32" higher then the later models. They seemed to function fine in my Armalite M15 with that nice wide mag well opening.  In my factory pre-assembled Bushmaster lower with the small mag well bevel they (all of them) were sending rounds directly into the upper receiver wall just under the feed ramps and smacking the bullet back into the case.  After some gunsmithing work (at a gunsmith) to open the mag well a little and allow some vertical play the mags sat a little higher in the gun but still jammed a few rounds (never really consistent) into the wall.  After some soul searching I did some delicate dremel work work and ground and polished the ramps to match the Colt-style ramps that continue into the upper receiver.  Well... Now most rounds feed fine except the ones that get sent to the the upper part of the star-chamber (12 o'clock high) and get bent.  I got bent too.  GI mags of course work throughout this whole episode fine as well as Thermelts.  This diatribe leads to the question.  
Could I need to adjust my mag catch in or out to improve the function of the Orlites?
I want to have the 180 rounds of capacity, otherwise I am saddled with the mags. I refuse to sell them in case it is the mags and some unsuspecting person gets the shaft and has the same problem.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Do all the other mags you have work just fine?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of some folks trimming down the top of the magazine rib. A Dremel tool with a sanding drum might work. Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Never, repeat never grind on a perfectly good lower receiver just to accomodate some out-of-spec mags. Particularly not the POS Orlites.

Save yourself the headache and stick with USGI's.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information.  I was at a gunshow in GA today and found a rather good deal on USGI mags.  17 bucks for new Center Industry pre-bans.  Some of the mag bodies actually had dates on them. 91/92.  Still in the center bag with the black followers.  I need to get some new followers, but I think I came out on top.  I got 8 at that price.
As to the reciever grinding, I did have a qualified gunsmith do the magwell to match Armalite, and the feed ramps were something I was going to do anyhow.  I will play around with the orlites and see what I can do to improve their function.  They might turn into decent range mags.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Looked a little closer, and all the mag bodies have dates.  The gray coating had filled them in a bit.  There was a guy at the show with green follower Sanchez mags for the BARGAIN price of $35.  He sold them with lubricant.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Never, repeat never grind on a perfectly good lower receiver just to accomodate some out-of-spec mags. Particularly not the POS Orlites.
View Quote

That's not what I was suggesting.  I was talking about grinding down the rib on the mag, not the mag well on the rifle. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.  

I agree that Orlites are junk and that's the only reason I wouldn't feel bad about attacking them with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#7]
You CAN'T adjust the mag catch in and out by turning in the button.  All you will accomplish is change the spring tension.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually you can adjust it out but not it.  It will always seat all the way closed but you can make the button have to be pushed in more or less and stick out more or less.  THis will not do anything to change how or whether a mag seats though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, we are on the same page here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Phatmax, e-mail me [email protected].
I could use the orlites maybe we can work out a deal?
Nick
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top