Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2003 12:56:03 PM EDT
Got some USGI 30's that have something interesting on them.  They have an olive drab "shoelace" loop attached beneath the baseplate (haven't pried them open yet).  Only about 3 inches in overall protruding length that tuck under the side margins of the baseplate.  

Not being military or LEO, why were these loops used?  For carrying purposes or ease of removal from the magwell?

Thanks!
-DE
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are "panic loops" or mag pulls. They are used for ease of mag removal when you are being shot at and need to get the mag out of the pouch with shaky hands. You store full mags upside down with the loops forward and empties right side up so you won't pull the wrong mag and don't have to look down to get a fresh mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  Get a short piece of 550 cord, tie a tight overhand knot on each end, and assemble the mag with the knots on the inside of the floorplate.  Works like a charm and doesn't take any extra room side-to-side.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
When 550 cord is used for this it is usually stripped of the internal cordage.

Also, zip ties are popular for this application as they have more rigidity than 550 cord.

MagPuls are the expensive alternative and while they have some advantages, they do make the magazine bigger a round.

HTH,

JAW
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When 550 cord is used for this it is usually stripped of the internal cordage.

Also, zip ties are popular for this application as they have more rigidity than 550 cord.
JAW
View Quote

That's exactly what I do. I gut the 550 chord and thread a thick zip tie within the now gutted 550 chord. Zip up the tie and place the zip tie/550 chord loop beneath the baseplate. The zip tie adds rigidity to the 550 cord. That way, when you open your mag pouch, the zip tie loop is rigid and not pressed down or deformed. Works like a charm..
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Pictures please......
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies!  I've kept the mag pulls and replaced them on my cleaned mags.  I tried putting a zip-tie in one but found it to be quite thick and, therefore, hard to put the baseplate back on (couldn't get it to squeeze between the sides and didn't want to bend the mag or baseplate to get it to fit).  With the gutted 550, it will "floss" in between without too much trouble.  Is there an alternative location you put these in?

Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera to post the pic.

-DE
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The major concern with these, is that in a real state of panic, you may pull the cord so hard as to rip the floor plate off the magazine, sending all the internals of your magazine (including the ammo) all over the place.

Personally I just duct tape the 550 cord to the bottom of my mags.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Not only is the 550 cord used as a mag pull but it also serves as a means to attach your empties to your LBE/LBV.

On your off side shoulder/side place a D ring(Carabiner) an you have a place to hook your empty magazines.  If you just want a simple mag pull use a piece of 100mph tape on the base of the magazine.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top